Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What I feel is an alarming trend

Most that know me on here know that I fish Cumberland a lot. What I'm seeing this year has me somewhat concerned and I will get slammed for this but I am going to say it anyway. I know it is a huge lake but how many tournaments should be held on a given body of water per year. Lakes like Nolin, Rough Taylorsville ect..how many? Is there a thing called too much?

I was there this past Friday and I have never seen so many KVD wanna be's in one place in my life and on a week day no doubt. I tried being friendly with two ass wipes in Halcomb's parking lot and they acted like I had three heads and wasn't about to give away their big bad tourney pattern for I assume they were pre-fishing for a Saturday T by the way they were acting. Don't let the fish-n-ski non wrapped boat fool ya I probably could have helped the bungholes but screw'em I walked off after the rude behavior. Got cut off twice and once I say out loud...''REALLY...NO REALLY'' and they acted like punks laughing. Young guns all full of themselves..real bait slingers, LOL.

I'm gonna just say it and I really don't care what I get afterwards so here goes. I am getting to the place where I hate tournaments. If it was up to me they would be sanctioned and regulated. Are they good for fishing yes to a degree but I don't like where its going at all with the rude asses and non caring for the lakes. I have buddies that tourney fish all the time and they won't like me saying this stuff but I had to vent it out.

Friday I was catching a nice smallmouth in a very tight spot one hand dip net the other the rod. I about got washed out of the boat only for these two squirells to notice I had a good one on. They pass me and turn around and wash me again to see me net the fish I guess to see what I caught it on. I looked at them like are you serious....they slam her again and take off.

Go ahead call me everything in the book I have been called much much worse and I ain't a bit skeered. Thank God not everybody acts like this but man its starting to get bad in my opinion.

Have a nice day this is how I feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely understand your concerns and I agree that some tournament guys can let it go to their head. Some of them feel entitled to more because they feel like they have more invested in the day's catch than the guy fishing for fun. I do believe that it is not just tournament guys that are disrespectful to guys not fishing tournaments, though. I think that some guys out fun fishing automatically lump all tournament guys together and feel like they are out to get them. I think that the best way to look at it is that not all tournament guys are d-bags and not all guys out fun fishing are good ol' boys. Just treat everybody with respect and hope you get the same in return. If you don't, screw them. If you do, then it's all good.
    Likes mhall, R19, Dave Stewart, stewartwalker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Tournament fishing serves no purpose. They're all idiots, but enough idiots can create an industry and have its ring leaders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Most that know me on here know that I fish Cumberland a lot. What I'm seeing this year has me somewhat concerned and I will get slammed for this but I am going to say it anyway. I know it is a huge lake but how many tournaments should be held on a given body of water per year. Lakes like Nolin, Rough Taylorsville ect..how many? Is there a thing called too much?

I was there this past Friday and I have never seen so many KVD wanna be's in one place in my life and on a week day no doubt. I tried being friendly with two ass wipes in Halcomb's parking lot and they acted like I had three heads and wasn't about to give away their big bad tourney pattern for I assume they were pre-fishing for a Saturday T by the way they were acting. Don't let the fish-n-ski non wrapped boat fool ya I probably could have helped the bungholes but screw'em I walked off after the rude behavior. Got cut off twice and once I say out loud...''REALLY...NO REALLY'' and they acted like punks laughing. Young guns all full of themselves..real bait slingers, LOL.

I'm gonna just say it and I really don't care what I get afterwards so here goes. I am getting to the place where I hate tournaments. If it was up to me they would be sanctioned and regulated. Are they good for fishing yes to a degree but I don't like where its going at all with the rude asses and non caring for the lakes. I have buddies that tourney fish all the time and they won't like me saying this stuff but I had to vent it out.

Friday I was catching a nice smallmouth in a very tight spot one hand dip net the other the rod. I about got washed out of the boat only for these two squirells to notice I had a good one on. They pass me and turn around and wash me again to see me net the fish I guess to see what I caught it on. I looked at them like are you serious....they slam her again and take off.

Go ahead call me everything in the book I have been called much much worse and I ain't a bit skeered. Thank God not everybody acts like this but man its starting to get bad in my opinion.

I feel the same way bro........SAME WAY.......It is a double edged sword. On one hand, the tourneys and presence of tourney angling has done a ton for the sport.......Much like NASA has done for almost everything.

With tourneys, we have better boats, better baits, better rods, better reels, better electronics, etc, etc.

I also agree that something needs to be done with all the "fools" out there.

Later,

Geo
    Likes mhall, raporter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're on "MY" spot you better leave cause I found those fish during practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a lot of people the desire to perform and look good in front of their peers overwhelm common sense. In my opinion the result is a negative attitude that is win,win,win, spare no expense, it's all about me,me,me. Having respect for others along with having fun and enjoying the moment is too far down the list. The desire to be competitive is a good thing to have as long as you build off it in a positive manner. The problem lies in people who can not handle the situation and do not even realize it. They become "that guy" and do not even know it.

I occasionally fish in a tournament. Some years I will do 3-4 and some years 0 it all depends on what I want to do. I do know this for sure. My main reason for fishing a tournament is to have a fun experience. At one time many years ago I started to take it too serious. I stepped back and self evaluated myself and decided I did not want to be "that guy" that mhall was describing.
    Likes mhall, snapper30, GeoFisher, raporter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I completely understand your concerns and I agree that some tournament guys can let it go to their head. Some of them feel entitled to more because they feel like they have more invested in the day's catch than the guy fishing for fun. I do believe that it is not just tournament guys that are disrespectful to guys not fishing tournaments, though. I think that some guys out fun fishing automatically lump all tournament guys together and feel like they are out to get them. I think that the best way to look at it is that not all tournament guys are d-bags and not all guys out fun fishing are good ol' boys. Just treat everybody with respect and hope you get the same in return. If you don't, screw them. If you do, then it's all good.

I kinda feel like this guy. I try not to lump them all together, but they make it tough not to sometimes. If things get out of hand, one cal always shoot a pic or two with your cell and take it up with the tourney director at the weigh-in. Can also mention bad behavior to the tourney sponsors in hopes they will bring it up to their fishermen.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    For a lot of people the desire to perform and look good in front of their peers overwhelm common sense. In my opinion the result is a negative attitude that is win,win,win, spare no expense, it's all about me,me,me. Having respect for others along with having fun and enjoying the moment is too far down the list. The desire to be competitive is a good thing to have as long as you build off it in a positive manner. The problem lies in people who can not handle the situation and do not even realize it. They become "that guy" and do not even know it.

I occasionally fish in a tournament. Some years I will do 3-4 and some years 0 it all depends on what I want to do. I do know this for sure. My main reason for fishing a tournament is to have a fun experience. At one time many years ago I started to take it too serious. I stepped back and self evaluated myself and decided I did not want to be "that guy" that mhall was describing.
    You can't state it any better than this
    Likes vetsvet liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post

I agree completely.
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    Tournament fishing serves no purpose. They're all idiots, but enough idiots can create an industry and have its ring leaders.
    Pretty ridiculous statement!
    Likes dabassking, mhall, redj_dennis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% also. It has gotten out of hand. Maybe the KDFW should be contacted to see if a limit can be imposed.
    These turney fisherman may have tied a lot up in a boat etc but I fail to see how that impacts anything. Afterall, it is there choice. There are a lot of very inconsiderate people out here, ot just on the water. Brings to mind a story a frind of mine told me a few years back. He was duck hunting during the early teal season in sept when a guy came right in on his decoys where he was hunting. He asked the guy if he saw the decoys and the camo boat etc and how about giving him a little room to hunt. The guy replied that he fiqured he has a right to fish wherever he wanted to to which my friend promptly stood up and informed the guy that he had a shotgun and the guy had a fishing rod and which one he thought would win that argumnet! The point here is that sometimes you just have to get your point across.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    I really hope this is just a joke. It's pretty disrespectful to a large portion of this site, otherwise.
    Likes mhall, GeoFisher liked this post