Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ky and Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Ky and Barkley

Man, I'm so ready to hit the water. I've done some day trips locally around southern Indiana. Deam, Dogwood, Patoka, Hoosier Nat. Now I'm READY for the big dogs of Kentucky and Barkley.

I'm headed down Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue with my wife. I will definitely be fishing early and hopefully late, but will more than likely not be fishing mid day stuff.

I'm thinking shallow early, and maybe shallow late. What do you guys think?

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Not concerned about catching a 20lb bag either.

I'm really not to concerned about catching only BIG fish, or targeting BIG fish. Sure I'd love to catch some, but I'd much rather put my wife on good numbers. She loves to fish, but gets bored quickly with it. I'd like to find some reasonably consistent action.

I think I have a few definite areas......maybe shallow in Pisqua, or Sugar. Also a few North Barkley bays could be the ticket.

Of course, I will DEFINITELY be driving the trace and putting in at Donaldson......I love that area.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo,

Fished last weekend with my kids and this is not among my favorite times to fish the big lakes (late summer / early fall) unless I can get out at night. The fish seem to scatter and you can find a few about anywhere but it is hard to find numbers or much consistency. My son and I caught several decent fish early on surface on shallow gravel flats in the outer parts of the bays. But if you want to fish numbers what I used to do when my kids were younger was fish ultra-light crank baits on KY on the main lake and outer bay gravel flats. Lots of action and usually we would catch a keeper or two which is a blast on the mickey mouse gear. We used to see how many different species we would catch in a morning's session and I believe our record was 13 - LM, SM, Spot, bluegill, sunfish, shell cracker, white, yellow, drum, yellow perch, channel, crappie, skip jack. The key was always rock and it doesn't matter at times how shallow...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, thanks for the info.

I probably will not get out too much. I have a couple really cool spots on Barkley and a really need few places down at donaldson on barkley . Those areas usually produce when I'm looking for fish.

I'm staying up at north barkley at poplar creek so I will definitely be trying pop creek, champion springs, and a few areas up there.

Then maybe launch from smith and try some north stuff on KY lake. Like I said I'm with the misses on this trip, so I really will not be fishing hard

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I guess no one fishes KY lake any more.

317 reviews and 3 replies. 2 of them mine......

I know things are slow.........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    i understand what you are saying , when i take my wife to ky. lake i give her a 4 inch smoke grub on a 1/4 ounce jighead and tell her to reel medium speed , catches a lot of small bass.i have viewed this several times looking for new techniques myself. have fun and catch lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fished Barkley this week. Fish aren't shallow and its tough. Don't get so upset about people viewing and not commenting. People view to see if you put a report. You have a tendency to get to sensitive about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went down a few days last week and fished early, late, midday, shallow, deep, and in between, and threw everything except dynamite! Caught six LM all together with one keeper in the mix during a 2.5 day trip. I'm sure somebody is slaying them down there, but it aint me!

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like you should have went to patoka...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Owskiwoski View Post
    Fished Barkley this week. Fish aren't shallow and its tough. Don't get so upset about people viewing and not commenting. People view to see if you put a report. You have a tendency to get to sensitive about that.
    I'm not sensitive. You'd think 350 views would generate comments. Lots of lookers, not very many takers.

I will definitely provide details when I get back though. Not only is it tough I think but it is still early for fall trips.

I figured people were still fishing though.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    Yalp.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    Yalp.......