Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka fishing report

Planning on fishing Patoka this sunday and was wondering if anyone was doing any good .

Post Thanks / Like
    Two weeks ago I caught a limit of 15 to 16" fish with a few shorts thrown in on main lake points with a pop r. Fish were on the deep side of the grass. Caught them all before 10 am. Have only been there a couple times this year. Hope this Helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not been hearing good things.

Post Thanks / Like
    mow the grass instead

Post Thanks / Like
    Well , fishing trip didn't go quite as planned . Launch from Lick Fork and ran out to main lake . Stopped to fish a point and after 10 min brother noticed water on floorboard , check back compartment and water was almost over gas tanks . We had a major leak as plug was firmly on place and bilge pump wasn't working . Ran as fast as we could back to ramp and got boat on trailer , drained and pump wire fixed . Headed back out fished around cove across from Lick Fork caught one 15" fat bass on outside edge of weedbed on a berkley chig craw . Got tired of running pump all the time headed for the barn . I got the boat a while back and haven't had it out yet . Didn't worry about leaking cause seller said it leaked a little and you had to run the pump sometimes . Got home and leveled the trailer , put the garden hose in the boat and filled it with some water . Found a 6" crack in the keel that water poured out of and many rivets leaking . Oh well another project .

Post Thanks / Like

Almost lost my boat at Patoka Once

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Well , fishing trip didn't go quite as planned . Launch from Lick Fork and ran out to main lake . Stopped to fish a point and after 10 min brother noticed water on floorboard , check back compartment and water was almost over gas tanks . We had a major leak as plug was firmly on place and bilge pump wasn't working . Ran as fast as we could back to ramp and got boat on trailer , drained and pump wire fixed . Headed back out fished around cove across from Lick Fork caught one 15" fat bass on outside edge of weedbed on a berkley chig craw . Got tired of running pump all the time headed for the barn . I got the boat a while back and haven't had it out yet . Didn't worry about leaking cause seller said it leaked a little and you had to run the pump sometimes . Got home and leveled the trailer , put the garden hose in the boat and filled it with some water . Found a 6" crack in the keel that water poured out of and many rivets leaking . Oh well another project .

I almost sank my boat at Patoka Lake with the same problem but my sub pump was working just not fast enough.

I had made a run from the Main ramp to under the 145 bridge and was fishing the mouth of Little Patoka Lake when I noticed that the water was coming up and covering the floor of my boat. I had a 4 or 5 " long gash in the seam at the front starboard side at the front end of my boat where a weld cracked due to the waves pounding my boat.

I was able to get underway and was lucky to have a friend with me. He got up in the front of the boat to make the bow go down faster and I was able to pull out on of the plugs at the back of the boat while moving as Fast as the boat would go. I was bow high even with my friend on the front end of the boat. I had so much water in the back of the boat that I could barely get any speed or get on plane. But the water drained out of the plug and the bow was high enough out of the water to keep anymore water from coming in though the crack in the hull.

I made it back to the main launch ramp and got the boat back on the trailer. If I had been alone I would have had a hard time getting the boat back to the launch ramp or out of the water. It won't sink completely as it's got foam floatation built into the boat.

We were camping up at Patoka and with the boat almost sinking we called it a day and went back home. That was a scary thing to experience.

Another time I was down at KY lake and it rained really hard and filled up my boat with a lot of water. I had the boat tied to the side of a house boat where we spent the week. It took hours to pump out all the water with the bilge pump and all the wood in my boat's floor got soaking wet. That was my first trip down to KY lake with that boat as it was brand new back in 1978.

Glad you made it back to the ramp ok.

You can have the crack welded shut if you know a good welder. I'm assuming it's aluminum ??

JB weld can be used to cover the heads of the rivets and that will stop them from leaking. I've had rivet heads completely pop off the boat and that left a 1/4" od sized hole in the side of my boat. I put some JB weld over the hole and let it set for 24 hours and it's still holding strong today. And that was back in 1991 when I did that.