Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Replica recommendations

My buddy pulled an 8 pounder out of Kincaid Sunday and is considering having a replica made. Niether of us have any experience with this, so I'm looking for some recommendations. Good or bad, I'd like to hear about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Harry at Gunner's Taxidermy did a replica of a 7+# smallmouth for me and it's the best SM mount I've ever seen. Real or Replica, and I'm not just saying that because it's mine. It truly is the best smallmouth paint job and mount I've ever seen! and anyone who see's it completely agrees! Call Gunner's Taxidermy he'll do it right!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to go along with MagikSmallie, and say Gunner's .... I've got two mounts from 1985 & 1991, both of which still look like they did on day one.

http://www.gunnerstaxidermy.com/

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    My buddy pulled an 8 pounder out of Kincaid Sunday and is considering having a replica made. Niether of us have any experience with this, so I'm looking for some recommendations. Good or bad, I'd like to hear about it.
    I'm curious......did he take it to eat it and now wants a mount or take it and it's sitting in the freezer? I guess my point is that if he kept it why not get it mounted as is. If not, don't keep the bigguns just take some great pics and measurements and let her go....no need to kill a trophy like that if it's just going to get tossed in the garbage or used as fertilizer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I'm curious......did he take it to eat it and now wants a mount or take it and it's sitting in the freezer? I guess my point is that if he kept it why not get it mounted as is. If not, don't keep the bigguns just take some great pics and measurements and let her go....no need to kill a trophy like that if it's just going to get tossed in the garbage or used as fertilizer.
    What makes you assume he kept it? My first impression since he asked about a replica was that he did take pictures and let it go. Now you have me curious as to which happened.

I agree though if he kept him, why not mount the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post

That fish was not harmed whatsoever! Actually, he mentioned possibly having it mounted and I told him that he would have to go through me first. Actually, we're best friends, so he didn't take that as a threat, but he realized that the replica was the better option.

Post Thanks / Like

Replica

I has mine done at Mikes Taxidermy, and was very impressed how it turned out. Mikes use to be on Cane Run Road, but not sure where he is now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    That fish was not harmed whatsoever! Actually, he mentioned possibly having it mounted and I told him that he would have to go through me first. Actually, we're best friends, so he didn't take that as a threat, but he realized that the replica was the better option.
    Sounds good....a man has the right to do what he wants with his legally caught fish....I was just asking. Replica is better no doubt about it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I'd have to go along with MagikSmallie, and say Gunner's .... I've got two mounts from 1985 & 1991, both of which still look like they did on day one.

http://www.gunnerstaxidermy.com/

... pappy
    The Website hasn't been updated in a really long time. If you want pics of the one he did for me just let me know and I'll be glad to send you some or post them here, either or.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    The Website hasn't been updated in a really long time. If you want pics of the one he did for me just let me know and I'll be glad to send you some or post them here, either or.

That would be great! Whatever is easiest for you. My email address is mehuck@twc.com. Thanks in advance.