Search Fishin.com

Thread: I need help

Post Thanks / Like

I need help

After a recent bass fishing trip I've noticed I have a few problems and I need some advice on them 1. Setting the hook on a worm, I must have lost 20 fish in the last month because of poor hook set 2. I need to know how to fish a jig I've never known how 3. How do you get fish on the slow days when you just can't get a bite

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassinsince98 View Post
    After a recent bass fishing trip I've noticed I have a few problems and I need some advice on them 1. Setting the hook on a worm, I must have lost 20 fish in the last month because of poor hook set 2. I need to know how to fish a jig I've never known how 3. How do you get fish on the slow days when you just can't get a bite
    If the mechanics are good with the hookset, make sure you're using the right rod and a low stretch line.

Medium Heavy rod to heavy and florocarbon would go a LONG way to helping with a hookset. Mono stretches quite a bit and even more when it is water saturated.

If rod, reel and line are all in line and Mechanics ARE a problem, make sure you keep all slack out of the line when fishing it. AND keep the rod tip at a "shallower" angle. Maybe 20 or 30 degrees to give you more "fulcrum" to power that hookset home.

I hope this helps.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    when the bite is slow down size your bait and slow it down and really target cover. and far as missing fish on a worm try down sizing your hook size and I like slack in my line when I fish with a worm are jig ect ect. im a line watcher when it tightens up I set the hook!

Post Thanks / Like
    If that bass feels resistance it will let go of the worm in most cases, do not get in a feeling contest with the bass. If you think you might have a hit but are not sure set the hook HOOK SETS ARE FREE. Some of the hits will be the lure gets heavy or you lose touch with your lure ore the line is moving sideways. Also if you are having problems you might fish with braid main line and about 2 or 3 ft flourocarbon leader. This will let you use a rod that is more a medium action you will feel the hits better and your hook sets will be better. Also I set the hook almost as soon as I feel the hit as soon as I think I have a hit I will drop the rod tip down a little and the sweep up to set the hook. Remember hook sets are free.