Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

green river muskie

My son had a chance to go on a muskie fishing trip to Wisconsin this past summer and although he didn't land one he had some action and now has the bug. The amount of times I have casted for muskie in this state I could count on one hand but he wants to complete his mission (land one) and I am thinking Green river lake would be the place to go. I am not looking for anyone's spots or secrets but not being tuned in at all we would appreciate it greatly if someone could help tune us in to late-October or early November muskies. I would imagine they follow the baitfish into the creeks. Do they relate heavily to brush? How shallow do they go? What are some of the better lures to use? When I fished them years ago in the Northland we used to catch them on bucktails or over-sized rapalas. Thanks in advance for any advice...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never fished for musky. I do fish Green River Lake very often and average about 4-5 musky a year. I had one on last week that was in 2-3 ft. of water right at the base of a stump. It broke me off but I could tell it was decent in size. I was pitchin a worm when it bit.

From my experience if he wants to catch a musky on Green River Lake now is the time. In the fall I have caught the majority of them in the back of coves where shad is present or on a flat that has wood. I have had them to bite in very shallow water but typically when that happens it is a smaller fish 35" or less. The better bites come in water deeper than 5 ft. Most of the time I catch them while fishing a buzzbait,spinnerbait or square bill crank bait.

In the fall is when I have the most bites. In the spring I do not catch as many but the quality of size is better. If you think he has the fever now just wait until a 40" fish blows up on a buzzbait. It sounds like a concrete block fell off a cliff into the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    After posting last night I found several previous posts on Green River muskies and many were saying the same thing - just fish for bass to catch them.

In the past we used to fish buzzers for them too and I remember some of those crazy strikes. These days my favorite surface bait is a Sammy -- I bet they would go nuts on those too.

I like the sound of the fall being better. I think landing one is more of the goal than catching a trophy. He hooked a couple and they came unbuttoned and had several follows so getting one in the boat would complete him.

Ironically when I was a young pup into my teens we used to go north every summer and fish for muskies and we caught many but the biggest we landed over the years was 36" although we did wrangle with many larger ones. But in one of my few GRL trips camping with the family we ended up trolling for whites and I hooked and landed a 42" musky which is my only KY musky. I look forward to getting my son his first. Thanks for the reply...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Crank a big willow-leaf spinner bait just below the surface so it makes a little wake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this article. Let us know what you think. I havent read it.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...e-peaking-soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Try this article. Let us know what you think. I havent read it.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/conten...e-peaking-soon
    Well I notice something definitely different.

THAT is way cool........

Nice new format.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

WARNING ALERT!
    If you catch a Muskie and put it in you're boat you will never catch any other fish, you will need to replace the carpet, bleach treat the live well and replace all tackle. Then leave boat air out for six months. in the open.

Post Thanks / Like
    They sure are some slimy, stinky fish. And for as mean as they are they sure die easy. Sure got to remember not to lip them. I hand land everything these days so it will be interesting if we really do stick one. I usually just have to dodge trebles. These babies can bite...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate you posting that article and how timely. I think I will forward to my son and get his anticipation going. Thanks!

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught one once on grl. On the way down we stopped at a little tackle store adn they had them huge bucktail spinners. I picked one up in white and said why not. Well the bass fishing wasnt to good so i told my father in law i was going to try that musky bait. I tied it on and about 10 casts in i caught one and got it in the boat it was about 35 inches or so. But i thought it was kinda funny cause they say they are the fish of a million cast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go bass fishing in any creek, youll run into em. I caught 2 today over 40" and we had two more to bite. All i have to show for it is a broken landing net. I caught them flipping. Dont let people fool ya into thinking you have to throw the huge musky baits, i was flipping a 4" creature bait

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Go bass fishing in any creek, youll run into em. I caught 2 today over 40" and we had two more to bite. All i have to show for it is a broken landing net. I caught them flipping. Dont let people fool ya into thinking you have to throw the huge musky baits, i was flipping a 4" creature bait
    I appreciate the fresh feedback. I know what you are saying about not having to throw the huge musky lures. When I used to fish them up north we didn't do very well on the huge lures. I have several of those large, bulky, wooden lures including a suick and I don't think we ever caught a musky on that big stuff not to mention after throwing one for an hour or so your whooped. One of my favorites was a 5" heavy-body floating rapala which I fished like a crank bait. We also used to get a lot of action on bass buzz baits but we didn't have a very good hook-up ratio even with trailer hooks although the strike and the visual made up for not landing. Another favorite was a #5 Mepps musky bucktail which is on the small side for bucktails. As I mentioned above I am looking forward to trying a Sammy for them. I have one 128 which is 5" but the 4" 100s are my mainstay on bass and I sure a toothy will get a rise out of them. Just hope I can break away before it gets past surface time...

kc