Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bass lake

Post Thanks / Like

New Bass lake

Ok I got your attention with that thread title didn't I, lol. Here's my question if you could come up with the perfect scenario for a Trophy Bass lake here in Kentucky what would you do? Cedar Creek was a novel idea and yes it is producing nice fish and I like it but can we improve, I think so.

Here are my thoughts;
    1. It would have a three Bass a day limit but it would be fish between 12 to 15 inches. All other Bass are returned to the lake except one Bass 24 inches or over may be kept.
    2. There would be a pay system of 10 dollars per head. This covers launch fee. Two guys pay 20 bucks to a person paid by the department in a hut at the launch's, no exceptions ever. The money is used to make the lake a trophy lake and to manage it properly.
    3. Florida strain Largemouth's and some Great lakes Smallmouth, use the money to purchase fish and bring them in.
    4. No fishing at all during the spawn, this time frame to be determined by the KDFW.
    5. No tournaments allowed....Zero
    6. No live bait allowed....Zero

Ok I have a few more tweaks I would like but would like to hear what you guys think. The KDFW could use any and all excess money produced to use as they see fit. Is this idea crazy, would it work, would you pay it???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Ok I got your attention with that thread title didn't I, lol. Here's my question if you could come up with the perfect scenario for a Trophy Bass lake here in Kentucky what would you do? Cedar Creek was a novel idea and yes it is producing nice fish and I like it but can we improve, I think so.

Here are my thoughts;
    1. It would have a three Bass a day limit but it would be fish between 12 to 15 inches. All other Bass are returned to the lake except one Bass 24 inches or over may be kept.
    2. There would be a pay system of 10 dollars per head. This covers launch fee. Two guys pay 20 bucks to a person paid by the department in a hut at the launch's, no exceptions ever. The money is used to make the lake a trophy lake and to manage it properly.
    3. Florida strain Largemouth's and some Great lakes Smallmouth, use the money to purchase fish and bring them in.
    4. No fishing at all during the spawn, this time frame to be determined by the KDFW.
    5. No tournaments allowed....Zero
    6. No live bait allowed....Zero

Ok I have a few more tweaks I would like but would like to hear what you guys think. The KDFW could use any and all excess money produced to use as they see fit. Is this idea crazy, would it work, would you pay it???
    Build it......and HE will come.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I like your thoughts on that but I would add one more at the beginning of the year hold a lottery pool that would help with fishing pressure and over fished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhound View Post
    I like your thoughts on that but I would add one more at the beginning of the year hold a lottery pool that would help with fishing pressure and over fished.
    Interesting thought indeed. My thought was that the 10 dollars per head would hold back some traffic, that and no tournaments. Maybe it wouldn't, maybe 20 dollars a head would be more fitting to keep pressure down some...Nice thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Would florida strain largemouth live this far north or would the cold winters kill them off. If they will live, trout stocking would be a must. Water quality has a lot to do with fish growth, how do you ensure good water quality like the TN river chain of lakes posses

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Would florida strain largemouth live this far north or would the cold winters kill them off. If they will live, trout stocking would be a must. Water quality has a lot to do with fish growth, how do you ensure good water quality like the TN river chain of lakes posses
    Florida strain have done fine here in private lakes where stocked but the growth rate is slightly less here due to winters being harsher than Florida. I would think the water quality is a huge issue and I agree. Somewhere the Cumberland river could influence would be our best bet if possible.

And a big Yes on the Trout, it is Bass super food....

Barry Guest

GRASS!

Need the DNR to stop spraying / killing grass, PERIOD. Maybe try to grow it in other lakes!

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought there was florida strain bass placed in cedar creek by kyfw. I dont know if its true it just seems i remember reading somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scratch the previous statement about cedar and florida strain bass but I read an article on gville and it has florida strain bass thats what it was... I think about fishign so much I get confused sometimes... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ekubass View Post
    Scratch the previous statement about cedar and florida strain bass but I read an article on gville and it has florida strain bass thats what it was... I think about fishign so much I get confused sometimes... lol
    KY Lake had some FL strain stocked in it a few years ago. Not sure how that worked out but i heard some rumblings that a big fish weighed in a tourny earlier this year may have been one. So I guess i answered my own question about whether or not they could survive, but can they reproduce here

Post Thanks / Like
    Some good ideas in there but I would not pay to fish it. Too much other water to fish that doesn't cost anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiger bass. The ones that fish at Elserlie will tell you.
    Biologists refer to this fish as a true F-1, because it is a cross between two pure subspecies of bass: a special strain of aggressive Northern Bass (which we call Gorilla Bass) and a pure strain of Florida Bass that comes from proven trophies (females from 13 to 16 pounds). American Sport Fish is the only hatchery licensed to produce and sell the Tiger BassŪ
    No HP rating, Catch and release, have Limited tournaments, you will be fine.