Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bonefish and the Log Salmon

In Dec 2009, Bonefish, 3sons and Myself, were fishing Dale Hollow on an overcast dreary perfect FNF morning. I had found a new spot a week earlier that was giving up some really good quality Smallies. 3sons and myself both had caught fish over 5 the day before plus 3sons had caught a good 4lb Greenfish off the same spot. The 3 of us hit this point and there is one particular angle when you cast that you got bit because there was a brushpiles in probably 10 feet of water and you would have to work you jig thru it slowly or get hung up. I had caught one a little over 3 on the first cast thru it so was even more on point than before. 3sons was in the middle of the boat and Bonefish was manning the backseat. I made a cast into the brushpile again and was easing it thru when I got hung up. Bonefish wasn't paying much attention so I whispered to Mike that when I set the hook to play along. I set the hook and of course the bait goes nowhere. I am moving the rod back and forth, on and off the trolling motor, Mike grads the net and I break off a big piece of the brushpile and am now reeling it in. I tell Mike to give the net to Bonefish because she is taking me around the boat. The whole time I have the trolling motor moving the boat forward to get the branch to the back of the boat. Old Bonefish is ready, cinched down his hat, net in hand, bent at the knees in full netting position. I get the branch just to the surface and yelling to Bone to get her get her as he stabs to net a .... Branch. Mike busts out laughing, I am about 98.6 degree Tinkle Tinkle down the inside of my insulated coveralls and there's Bonefish with a look of be wilderness on his face. He looks at me and says "YOU OLD SON OF A BUCK YOU!!!!!" Drops the net and picks up his FNF rod and makes a cast. Mike and I are about to fall out of the boat from laughing so hard. Tears running down our faces, Mike laying over the drivers seat holding his sides me about to Drain all over the place and there was Bonefish with this "I see how you do a buddy Grin all over his face" fishing away.

There are some things that happen on a fishing trip that you will never ever forget. Luckily I have several of these memories and "Bonefish and the Log Salmon" is one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great story it is always fun to get one up on your fellow fishing friend but paybacks can be hell

This reminds me of a similar story although I was not on this trip I heard it so much from my brother-in-law It feels like I was there in the boat. It is in Canada they are walleye fishing my brother in law Ron and Jimmy are fishing in one boat Ron's best friend is in the other boat with ZEB they are fishing a bottleneck with a pretty good current when Bob hooks a big fish his partner ZEB is not very experience and this big fish is taking Bob everywhere he gets it to the boat and then it makes a run in the current ZEB is holding the boat with the motor in reverse Bob has been fighting the fish for about five minutes seems like an hour. Ron and Jimmy have been watching and they decide to go see if they need help. When he gets there they are screaming to get his net over there as they do not have a net. He passes the net to ZEB holding the boat in place with the motor and the big fish is about ready. Bob tells ZEb when I tell you to I'm ready shift the boat into neutral and come up here and net the fish Ron and Jimmy are watching waiting to see this big fish but staying out of their way. Bob gives the word and ZEB does exactly what he is told he gets there with the net and Ron sees him start laughing and almost falls down with laughter Bob starts cussing and Ron and Jimmy are really confused, Bob had hooked a branch in the middle and with it in the current it would pull away then it would turn and get easy to pull in then turn and take drag all the time Bob was fighting it like a pro. After the three were done laughing and Bob was done cussing they started fishing again and Ron got hung up, he hollers at Bob to come over here and get all the brush out of his way. The cussing starts again. You got to love the memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent story my friend.

I'm looking forward to Dale this Winter..........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy Chunknwind and I were fishing Ky Lake a few years ago. We were in his boat so I'm in the back. It's a tough day on the water and I've got 6-7 rods strung out all over the middle and back of the boat and it looks like a small tackle shop exploded with all the baits I have tried, cut off and dropped on deck. All of a sudden he yells Get the Net. Scares me half to death, I wipe the sleeping drool from my face and get the sleepies out of my eyes to see his rod doubled in the struggle. He is working it expertly AROUND the trolling motor as I am breaking rods, reels, my neck and all to get to the front to bet this beast. He pulls the big girl along the port side and she comes to the top, Log Salmon about 6 feet long. He thought he had hooked a monster and I about broke my neck to net firewood. I laughed at him the entire trip over that.

Post Thanks / Like
    That story is still funny every time I hear it. I can just imagine the look on his face.