Search Fishin.com

Thread: anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

anyone?

does anyone know if the sauger are running yet at newburgh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing good yet. Some good hybrids and stripers though.

Post Thanks / Like
    what are they being caught on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stripers? 6xd deep diving crankbaits on the rock pile in the middle. Then work the kentucky side bank in about 15-20' of water. Hybrids light weight small chrome spoons in the 2nd and 3rd gate. Vary your depths until you find them. Float out until the current settles. If you like live bait go with a jig tipped with minnow. Same area. Look for skipjacks jumping. If they stay on one current seam then a spook or sammy (sammy's work much better) right through them.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone catching any sauger below the Newburgh Dam?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Stripers? 6xd deep diving crankbaits on the rock pile in the middle. Then work the kentucky side bank in about 15-20' of water. Hybrids light weight small chrome spoons in the 2nd and 3rd gate. Vary your depths until you find them. Float out until the current settles. If you like live bait go with a jig tipped with minnow. Same area. Look for skipjacks jumping. If they stay on one current seam then a spook or sammy (sammy's work much better) right through them.
    OK anyone have any fishing reports? Is the river high due to all this rain we had lately. Do you wait until the river levels fall before fishing below the dam?

I saw a cool video of a guy fishing for sauger below the McAlpine Dam. He was fishing in a deep hole just outside the current seam and looked to be anchored in the slack water. He said finding these deep holes and slack current right next to the main current was the key to catching sauger. And he was catching a lot of nice 2 lb fish in the video.

Watching this video made me wish I had a bigger boat for the river.

I've caught sauger on KY lake while bass fishing and crappie fishing over the years. They are always a welcome prize in the live well and skillet.

Oh yea he was using a 1/2 Oz lead head jig tipped with a big shiner minnow and had a small treble hook tied on the jig as a trailer with about 4" of fishing line coming from the jig. I think that I would just fish with the jig and minnow myself. Less chance of getting hung up in the river bottom.

Many years ago when I first got my Humminbird LCR800 I took my boat out on the Ohio River and went up below the dam to check out the new depth finder and see what I could find under the water below the dam. I found a deep hole and it was full of a lot of signals right above the bottom. I figured it was old trees that were trapped down in sided the hole due to hydraulics. Now those signals could have been anything as they were all over the River Bottom in that big hole. Perhaps it was some big catfish or other debris. I'll never know for sure. I didn't try to fish that day. To tell you the truth the Ohio River (big moving water) kind of frightens me a little. I'm just not secure out on that River and especially below those big dams. I've seen videos of people dying in moving water in years past when I studied swift water rescue techniques. I've seen movies of entire rescue teams in boats get pulled into the hydraulics of low water dams when trying to rescue people who's boat capsized and who were still stuck in the hydraulics of the dams moving water. Once you see these things it's hard to get that out of your mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta wait till the water slows down a bit and clears a tad from my experiences