Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ambassador 5500 C

Man i need some help...My 5500 starting screaming when I cast?? I took it apart and greased & olied it and it still does it .Anyone know someone that can repair reels locally? Ever since Don Brown quit I dont know anyone

Thanks in advance

jfw

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw View Post
    Man i need some help...My 5500 starting screaming when I cast?? I took it apart and greased & olied it and it still does it .Anyone know someone that can repair reels locally? Ever since Don Brown quit I dont know anyone

Thanks in advance

jfw
    I had a 5600 c4 that started acting funny and I took it to bass pro and sent it off to their repair shop. They had it about a month and it cost $25 but it works like I just bought it. If you can part with it for about a month, I'd give them a shot if you can't find anything locally.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy to help you out (and I'm cheaper than Bass Pro)! My info is below.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods
    (270) 246-0203
    www.reelcleen.webs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks in advance

jfw
    Oil the Bearings...............clean them with white gas or naptha, or lighter fluid, or whatever, and then add 1 drop of oil to every bearing..........problem fixed.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    If I have something I can fix or figure out, I take it to Rick Wilson. He's in brandenburg, KY. About 45 minutes from you. He's good and it would be a quick turn around this time of the year I'm sure. Very reasonably priced and a super nice guy. I'm sure you could mail it to him and save the trip.

http://www.wilsonsbaittackle.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Oil the Bearings...............clean them with white gas or naptha, or lighter fluid, or whatever, and then add 1 drop of oil to every bearing..........problem fixed.

Later,

Geo
    Thanks Geo now dont call me stupid but are the bearings on the crank handle side ??

Thx

jfw

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Geo now dont call me stupid but are the bearings on the crank handle side ??

Thx

jfw
    Wow, that looks a little more complex than my low profile reels......Every One of my low profile reels do that when the bearings get gunked up.......cleaning and oiling the bearings fixes it .

Here is a schematic, I think.........

http://www.abugarcia.com/support/reel-schematics

Looks like a bearing on both sides of the spool.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

What you need to do is remove the handle etc. there is a square brass plate that the center of the spool rests on. Take it out and turn it over give it a shot of oil. Then put it back together. The plate gets an indentation wore in and causes the scream.
    In a last case send the reel to Spirit Lake Iowa home of Garcia reels. They have fixed 15 yr old reels for me and had a week turnaround and charged it to warranty!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try just a tiny drop of oil on the end of the centrifugal break pins. There are usually six of them. Clean the area the break pins come in contact with first. Not too much oil. Maybe put some oil on a q tip or piece of paper and apply it that way. I just did this on an Abu or Shimano, can't remember, and no more screaming.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you try all of the other suggestions and don't get anywhere, here's one more. Under the left side plate there is a plastic gear. I've had several customers experience your same problem and it turns out that sometimes the lube dries or wears away where the gear slips onto a stud. Lube that and it might just do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

5500c

hey jfw if you still having trouble I would be happy to look at it. All I use is ROUND Abu reels . I see you have
    delt with Don Brown , I used to buy my parts from him. I live in Shepherdsville and work in Louisville.
    Wont charge you anything ... Let me know .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by softballer View Post
    hey jfw if you still having trouble I would be happy to look at it. All I use is ROUND Abu reels . I see you have
    delt with Don Brown , I used to buy my parts from him. I live in Shepherdsville and work in Louisville.
    Wont charge you anything ... Let me know .
    Man thats awfully nice of you send me an e-mail if you dont mind and give me your contact info ...my e-mail is jay.wright1962@yahoo.com

Thanks so much !!!!

jfw