Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck in your tournament....some folks have given you some good advice here. I have been known to work with college and high school anglers free of charge that really want to learn as a way of giving back to a sport that has been so good to me over the years. If you really want to learn how to find bass and make lure decisions etc...etc...etc...you should contact me and maybe we can work something out where I can spend a day with you this winter in the classroom teaching you...you won't learn what you need to know to become a consistant bass angler trying to learn it on the water...or reading articles and watching tv that are more pointed toward trying to sell you something...just my opinion. Obviously what I teach will help you....some of the folks that have posted here giving you good advice have taken my Eliminating Water Class. You have to learn to walk before you can learn to run....give me a call and we will see if I can be of some assistance to your learning process.

Dave
    270-362-9987

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    Good Luck in your tournament....some folks have given you some good advice here. I have been known to work with college and high school anglers free of charge that really want to learn as a way of giving back to a sport that has been so good to me over the years. If you really want to learn how to find bass and make lure decisions etc...etc...etc...you should contact me and maybe we can work something out where I can spend a day with you this winter in the classroom teaching you...you won't learn what you need to know to become a consistant bass angler trying to learn it on the water...or reading articles and watching tv that are more pointed toward trying to sell you something...just my opinion. Obviously what I teach will help you....some of the folks that have posted here giving you good advice have taken my Eliminating Water Class. You have to learn to walk before you can learn to run....give me a call and we will see if I can be of some assistance to your learning process.

Dave
    270-362-9987
    Class act

Post Thanks / Like

Good advise

The only problem is that it's hard to find good information about the bait and it's life cycles on the lakes we fish.

Bait like Gizzard Shad are easy to located on KY lake with a good Depth Finder like a Lorrance or Humminbird Side Scanning device but they cost thousands of dollars and are not in the budget of most high school kids.

But you can do google searches on Gizzard Shad or Threadfin Shad or Crayfish and get an idea of their life cycles.

Bas will follow the big schools of Gizzard Shad but there are a lot of gizzard shad in most big lakes like KY lake. So you also should learn about how the lakes topography affects the bait fish and their lives. Also currents can have a huge affect on the small micro organisams that the bait fish feed on.

Light levels (day vs night and overcasts conditions vs clear sky) also have a profound affect on the microorganisams that the bait fish feed on. Most light sensitive microscopic creatures tend to swim down deeper with a bright sky condition and little waves to break up the light entering into the water. Overcast skys and windy conditions that produce the waves at the surface of the water keep light out of the water better. More light is reflected back to the sky by waves and dirty or cloudy water. Light penetration is the key to how high or how low in the water column (depth) microscopic animals inhabit in a lake.

Early morning and late evening with the sun low in the sky tends to start the migration of these microscopic animals towards the surface and high noon and clear skies in a clear water lake make these creatures dive deeper to avoid the sunlight.

The minnows and Shad will follow their food source and so will the bass follow the shad.

But bass will eat practically anything that they can get in their mouth. So they don't all just feed on Shad. They feed on small frogs, snakes, tadpoles, mayflies and a lot of other creatures.

Small mouth bass really like crayfish. Figure out where the crayfish are hanging out in big numbers and you may find some small mouth bass hanging around.

Other than having someone take you fishing with them and teaching you how to catch bass you can read a lot to learn how to large mouth bass.

In-Fisherman has many books and magazines that are devoted to how to catch various type of fish.

Don't give up and don't think that just because you entered into a few bass fishing tournaments and didn't catch a fish that fishing is too hard. Fishing should be done for fun.

If you find that you don't enjoy fishing then don't fish. You need to figure that out for yourself. I was lucky in that my father took me fishing and mentored me in the art of bass fishing at an early age. The rest I learned myself because I wanted to learn more. I developed an interest in the sport of fishing at a very early age.

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Study and learn about the BAIT, not the fish. The more you learn about the BAIT and the seasonal patterns of the bait the easier it will be to eliminate non-productive water. Dave Stewart once asked me had I rather fish where 85% of the fish are or 15%? The 85% will be following the bait. Remember the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't get caught up in trying to learn to fish every new bait or technique that comes out. Maybe pick a few and learn them first. Jig, Crankbait, Spinnerbait, Carolina Rig and Texas Rig you could probably get away with 90% of the time. Learn these inside and out fishing around the 85% and guarantee you will catch more keepers. Determine what type of lake you are fishing, deep clear like Cumberland, Laurel, Dale; shallow more stained river system lakes like, Ky, Barkley, Rough, Nolin or somewhere in the middle like Green or Barren. Then determine main source of Bait for that lake. Eliminate water based on the seasonal pattern of the bait. Fish where the 85% with a technique that you have confidence in and weigh in limits. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post

Dave
    270-362-9987
    Most Excellent....

Dave's Class is AWESOME. I've taken it and use the advise on every trip I take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    The only problem is that it's hard to find good information about the bait and it's life cycles on the lakes we fish.

Bait like Gizzard Shad are easy to located on KY lake with a good Depth Finder like a Lorrance or Humminbird Side Scanning device but they cost thousands of dollars and are not in the budget of most high school kids.

But you can do google searches on Gizzard Shad or Threadfin Shad or Crayfish and get an idea of their life cycles.

Bas will follow the big schools of Gizzard Shad but there are a lot of gizzard shad in most big lakes like KY lake. So you also should learn about how the lakes topography affects the bait fish and their lives. Also currents can have a huge affect on the small micro organisams that the bait fish feed on.

Light levels (day vs night and overcasts conditions vs clear sky) also have a profound affect on the microorganisams that the bait fish feed on. Most light sensitive microscopic creatures tend to swim down deeper with a bright sky condition and little waves to break up the light entering into the water. Overcast skys and windy conditions that produce the waves at the surface of the water keep light out of the water better. More light is reflected back to the sky by waves and dirty or cloudy water. Light penetration is the key to how high or how low in the water column (depth) microscopic animals inhabit in a lake.

Early morning and late evening with the sun low in the sky tends to start the migration of these microscopic animals towards the surface and high noon and clear skies in a clear water lake make these creatures dive deeper to avoid the sunlight.

The minnows and Shad will follow their food source and so will the bass follow the shad.

But bass will eat practically anything that they can get in their mouth. So they don't all just feed on Shad. They feed on small frogs, snakes, tadpoles, mayflies and a lot of other creatures.

Small mouth bass really like crayfish. Figure out where the crayfish are hanging out in big numbers and you may find some small mouth bass hanging around.

Other than having someone take you fishing with them and teaching you how to catch bass you can read a lot to learn how to large mouth bass.

In-Fisherman has many books and magazines that are devoted to how to catch various type of fish.

Don't give up and don't think that just because you entered into a few bass fishing tournaments and didn't catch a fish that fishing is too hard. Fishing should be done for fun.

If you find that you don't enjoy fishing then don't fish. You need to figure that out for yourself. I was lucky in that my father took me fishing and mentored me in the art of bass fishing at an early age. The rest I learned myself because I wanted to learn more. I developed an interest in the sport of fishing at a very early age.
    A 50 dollar USED 320c is plenty enough to find and see schools of baitfish. I used this unit for YEARS and still use it up in Canada when fishing for lakers.

Multiple thousand dollar side scan and down imaging units are not necessary.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks again for the advice, but i have been wondering what are some good low budget rod and reel options more towards a baitcaster unless a spinning reel is just fantastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassinsince98 View Post
    thanks again for the advice, but i have been wondering what are some good low budget rod and reel options more towards a baitcaster unless a spinning reel is just fantastic

You would be hard pressed to find more bang for your buck than an Abu Garcia 5500C3. They are inexpensive, simple to use and maintain, and very reliable because they're built like a tank. For me, their only downfall is they don't cast very well with really light baits. If you ask ten different guys their opinions, you could very easily get ten different answers. In the end, it comes down to personal preference - just like the ages-old Ford versus Chevy debate.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have said in another post but what school are you with? If there is anyway you can hook up with Dave Stewart by all means do it. He will help you more in a day than you will know.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your catching smaller fish that's better than nothing, but more importantly, your finding the fish and that's the first step. Now build on that. Example, I was on a lake two weeks ago and the small bass were burning me up... 8 to 11" fish. I changed my worm size to 10" and lost the small fish bite but it was real slow, I then change the color of the bait twice and and found that the 2nd color was perfect..boated 12 or 13 fish in the 12" to 17" range. I only had about 10 worms in that particular color with me and when they ran out I lost the bite.

My point is if you find a spot that has small fish don't leave it, the odds of a bigger fish in that area are usually pretty good. Make small adjustments until you get the bite you want. Then if you have to power fish at least you can be confident about the bait.