Search Fishin.com

Thread: River crappie

Post Thanks / Like

River crappie

Anyone catching any Ohio river crappie? Does anyone fish for them through the winter

Post Thanks / Like
    go get em now. Fish the creeks, fish shallow, jig and float, or float and minnow, 1-3' of water. Find some stumps or laydowns.
    Look for bait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you fish for them they winter. We usually go to rough, but they've been running small and the river fish I've caught are slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Cool no bait

not catchn many down big bone cr. way,,the bait fish are not there like they should be.most of the time the bait get so thick you could almost walk on the water,lol have fished there long time and this year the bait has not been there,or in any of the creeks like they should.water temps like 56 last week,just right.only 3 keepers,i mean 10 inch and up.it doesnt look like a very good year for fall crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool no bait

not catchn many down big bone cr. way,,the bait fish are not there like they should be.most of the time the bait get so thick you could almost walk on the water,lol have fished there long time and this year the bait has not been there,or in any of the creeks like they should.water temps like 56 last week,just right.only 3 keepers,i mean 10 inch and up.it doesnt look like a very good year for fall crappie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bite has been pretty good in creeks on cannelton pool. Just wondering how long it's going to last. Hoping for a mild winter and good crappie fishing through the cold months. I grew up crappie fishing but mostly pursue bass now. Every now and then I get the itch to catch em. It's enough to keep me stocked up on jigs and expensive floats.
    I've heard they still tend to stay shallow in the winter in the creeks. I guess we will find out. Beats driving lake to lake anyway. I'll take the river fishing any day.

Post Thanks / Like

ohio river crappie

We had some luck last weekend on live shad. Found some smaller shad kept maybe 10 alive long enough to fish, also had some large minnows. 5 nice crappie and some ky bass also. Went this morning again and the water was up half foot and couldnt get a bite in the same area. Moved to main river and found a few hybrid and a nice saugeye. This time of year i fish a marina and always find crappie in 3 to 6 ft water and around the cross members of the docks. Live shad always help but these crappie will not move too much i fish tight to cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OHIOJYNX View Post
    We had some luck last weekend on live shad. Found some smaller shad kept maybe 10 alive long enough to fish, also had some large minnows. 5 nice crappie and some ky bass also. Went this morning again and the water was up half foot and couldnt get a bite in the same area. Moved to main river and found a few hybrid and a nice saugeye. This time of year i fish a marina and always find crappie in 3 to 6 ft water and around the cross members of the docks. Live shad always help but these crappie will not move too much i fish tight to cover.
    good info thanks been wanting to fish crappie in river, been fishin everything else in the river may as well do crappie.

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't be disappointed when you find em. Slab city

Post Thanks / Like
    Caught 13 good ones Tuesday in Poison creek. Lost several at the boat. They're biting rally light.

Post Thanks / Like

Poison Creek

Quote Originally Posted by toomanycasts View Post
    Caught 13 good ones Tuesday in Poison creek. Lost several at the boat. They're biting rally light.
    I've only been up there one time looking at the creeks where they cross the main highway though that area.

Those creeks up in Perry County look very fishy to me. Hey that's a good thing not a bad thing.

Are there any good deep holes in those little creeks? At least the fish don't have to fight as much current in those small creeks as compared to being out in the main river.

And fishing this time of the year you don't have to worry about having too many other boats around. That can be a bad thing is you ever need help due to boat trouble. I always like to know that there is a few other boats on the water nearby in case I need some help. If you are out on the water all by yourself with no one else around and your boat breaks down on you it's very troublesome.

How do you keep your hands warm during these colder months? Do you have any type of heater in the boat? Hard Warmers? Thermal or electric with batteries? Or do you just dry off your hands with a towel and tough it out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those creeks have a decent channel. As for my hands, I just tough it out till I don't notice it.