Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake cumberland stripers

Was just wondering, I read a report about stripes in the backs of the creeks. I kinda thought this is a little to early for that. I'm taking a buddy of mine down this weekend and his two boys and would love to get them hooked up. Do I need not worry about that and stick from main lake to half way back?

Post Thanks / Like
    was in the back of indian creek yesterday , the stripers were jumping , caught 3 the biggest was 7.9 lbs , 2 were caught on a walking lure and the other was on a swimbait , the spots and largeheads were also in schools ganged up on shad could not count must have caught 20 between 4 & 6 pm all on a swimbait , was very fun , some really fat spots. also caught a lot throughout the day on a shakeyhead . got to love those days off during the week , only saw 1 boat all day long.

Post Thanks / Like
    They could be almost anywhere right now. All the bait predatory fish are feeding early and often. last time I was down the stripers were moving fast and far and I doubt that's changed on sunny days. I've seen many times around this time of year where black bass and stripers work together close to bluffs. My plan, when they are as scattered and moving, is to find an area with a lot of bait and work it. They usually show up sooner than later but they could be gone in minutes. Backs, mid creeks, mouths, main lake flats, probably nothing is off limits I suspect. They may work an area longer on a cloudy, calm day but they could pop up here, then there, then over there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been catching them in the back of a creek in the evening almost every time I went back for the last 3 weeks. Just before dark and in only 3-7’ of water so very shallow but makes for a fun fight lots of jumping and splashing. However Friday and Sat they were not there, they were at the mouth of the creek and in big jumps. In the AM they were on the main lake jumping in very large schools staying up for quite a while.
    With the weather change it could go either way but I would say based on a few days ago they will be more schools still on main lake. Lake is starting to turn over now so that tends to scatter fish around so it’s hard to say where they will be by this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the info. Didn't know the lake was starting to turn, thanks for the heads up. We're probably going to go for it Saturday, my buddies boys are really looking forward to it. Luv taking new people especially kids fishin for the first time. Gets me pumped. Wish us luck and I'll try to put a post on here of how we did.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Example, Back of Caney, banks just before and under power lines, 5 inch shiner, no weight 20 feet behind the board and board about 10 feet off the bank in about 5 foot of water. That was last Thursday night, but Friday and Saturday the area was dead.

Agree, they seem to moving fast. Jumps outside Jamestown last week would surface near the mouth of Governors Cove, then come up next at the north end of Bugwoods. Might have been seperate schools, if not, they were hauling buns between dining engagements.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I said I would here's my report from my striper trip last sat. It wasn't the best day but I've had worst. Beautiful over cast morning looked for jumps on main lake for a little while but no luck, went straight the back of creek started setting out lines and bam right in front of the boat a small school of stripes came up and hooked for one of my buddies boys. That was it though caught a smallmouth in same area but the stripes left in a hurry. Hooked two more and lost them in another creek. I guess that's why they call it fishin and not catchin.