Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

Post Thanks / Like

Rain Gear

What's the best value in rain gear out there? I'm usually a middle-of-the-road guy when it comes to price, I don't like cheap stuff but don't want to pay top dollar either.

Post Thanks / Like

Rain gear

Check out military surplus stores for the ecwcs parka and pants. Its a little much for hot summer, but its a great rain suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on the time of year you fish the most. For cold weather I like the Cabelas guide wear, it is not cheap but it will keep you dry and warm. For warm weather there are several less expensive options. Frog Toogs seem to work well. It is always a good idea to treat them with the water repellent

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 100mph bibs and parka. Perfect in winter but a little warm in summer. Ive been through some floods in it and have always stayed bone dry. I have an older lightweight bps goretex suit for summer. Its lost some of its rain proofing abilities but i spray it down with camp dry and it does the job well enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I have the 100mph bibs and parka. Perfect in winter but a little warm in summer. Ive been through some floods in it and have always stayed bone dry. I have an older lightweight bps goretex suit for summer. Its lost some of its rain proofing abilities but i spray it down with camp dry and it does the job well enough
    After posting a few months ago about this I ended up buying the 100moh Parka and I love it. I have since fished in some pretty good rain storms and it worked flawlessly. I did not buy the bibs since my old ones are still ok and the parka does a great job with its length. Eventually I will get a new set of bibs just not sure what make. I agree it is kinda warm in late summer so I will still get a cheaper longer top for those little rain showers but monster rain storms are made for the 100mph equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get Frabill!! They make 3 different levels of suits..cheaper and better features than BP. I have had mine for 2 winters and love them!

Post Thanks / Like
    After looking at everything from cheap to outrageous, I ended up going with the Gander Mountain stuff (I think its called Guide Series). Excellent at keeping the water out and is pretty much baby bear's soup when it comes to thickness, not to heavy for a warm day and not too thin for cooler days. I've had it for about a year now and have been in some heavy rains for a while at a time and couldn't be happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at this thread:

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...ight=Rain+suit

I have been using the below gear for a year. I have other rain suites but if it is raining I wear this one. It is poly coated and the seems are double welded. It cant leak. Its not the old fashioned rubber rainsuit. This one is made of thinner stretchy material. Very comfortable to wear. I have thrown a cast net (thats about as hard as one will work on a fishing boat around here I think) in pretty warm weather and it has not made me sweat or been hot.

VOSS JACKET - Men - Rainwear | Helly Hansen Official Online Store
    VOSS PANT - Men - Rainwear | Helly Hansen Official Online Store

For $85 for both top and bottom I haven't seen anything that comes close as far as staying dry and comfort. Looks pretty good too. It. Simply cannot leak or allow moisture to soak through.

Now if you are planing on going 100 mph in the rain you will need need of those 100 mph suites at five times the cost. Ha ha.

Also see

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...best-rain-gear

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...light=Rainsuit

Also try searching in both search boxes at the top of the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Gander Mountain Guide series but it doesn't do justice for the real bad days weither rain, cold, or both. I invested in Shimano Dryfender Gear. I can tell you so far the best investment. It is an investment! I have been on Barkley lake when it is 38 degrees and on KY with 5" of rain and the previous gear I had just didn't work. Reguardless of what brand you get, I would make sure to buy for most extreme. You can always peel off clothing but may never had brought enough orginally.

Dan

Evansvillebassmasters.webs.com
    Facebook|Evansville Bassmasters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I wash my goretex suit in a special detergent made for Goretex and then I spray it down with something else made for Goretex. I am sorry I cannot remember the name but i bought it from an outdoor clothing/camping store here in Louisville. I was told that GoreTex needed to be cleaned and treated at least once a year to keep it working like it's supposed to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I wash my goretex suit in a special detergent made for Goretex and then I spray it down with something else made for Goretex. I am sorry I cannot remember the name but i bought it from an outdoor clothing/camping store here in Louisville. I was told that GoreTex needed to be cleaned and treated at least once a year to keep it working like it's supposed to.
    TekWash and Revivex.........

TWO best products in the history of products.

I have 15 hr old goretex and it is still kicking. WORKS pretty much as designed. I do get wet in a couple places mostly due to holes caused by wear and hooks or whatever, but it is no doubt GREAT gear.

Oh, and the Gore patents ran out a few years ago, so most every good product is using Gore or a knockoff of Gore.

I purchased my daughter Marmot Precipt a couple years ago for Canada and it has held up quite well.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    TekWash and Revivex.........

TWO best products in the history of products.

I have 15 hr old goretex and it is still kicking. WORKS pretty much as designed. I do get wet in a couple places mostly due to holes caused by wear and hooks or whatever, but it is no doubt GREAT gear.

Oh, and the Gore patents ran out a few years ago, so most every good product is using Gore or a knockoff of Gore.

I purchased my daughter Marmot Precipt a couple years ago for Canada and it has held up quite well.

Later,

Geo
    YEP! that's it. It's exactly what I used. I need to buy some more. Great stuff! Will keep those expensive suits dry for many many years. I bought a jacket from Galyans in Louisville before they became Dicks Sporting Goods. I'm guessing my jacket is about 9-10 years old and it still keep me very dry.