Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post No Fishing on any lakes at Bluegrass now

Fishing is canceled during Water Fowl Hunting Season which runs in the Southern Zone from Nov 2 to Nov 10th. And again from the end of Nov 2013 to the end of Jan 2014.

There are temporary signs about this all around the Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area.

If you are from out of town and planning on coming to Bluegrass to fish you will have to do it when the Duck Hunters are all gone.

Someone or something happened to the sign at the North End of Loon Pit's launch ramp. There was a sign there but it was gone Saturday Morning.

I saw where there were 18 duck hunters out on Bluegrass Pit and they did a pretty good job of hiding. I could not see one of them or their boats from high ground over looking the Pit. I did hear shotguns going off around 5 AM. Two hours before legal shooting time. I think you can't shoot until sunrise or 1/2 hr before sunrise. Sun Rise was around 7.15 Am yesterday. Note: that was Before the time change back to slow time here in Warrick County, IN

Only those that are signed in to hunt waterfowl are allowed on ALL bodies of water at Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area.

And remember that Loon Pit and it's adjacent lands are a water fowl refuge and you can't hunt waterfowl there at any time.

The information center for Bluegrass F&W area is located at the Parking lot at the South end of Bluegrass Pit. You can find it about 3/10 of a mile to the East of the I-164 Exit off onto Boonville New Harmony Rd. It's on the North Side of Boonville New Harmony Road. It's right past the Bluegrass F&W sign on the South East side of the road which is located at the intersection of the Gravel Road going South off Boonville New Harmony Rd. The sign can be seen easily while traveling East on Boonville New Harmony Rd. Look for the turn off into the Parking lot of Bluegrass Pit on the left side of the road right after you past this sign when driving East into the morning sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    What gets me is that the ENTIRE area is closed to fishing , even the small pits no one hunts . I caught 2 limits of crappie between oct.21 - nov. 1 and would like to try for more this week-end but SOL .

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is allowed right now up until about Nov 30

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    What gets me is that the ENTIRE area is closed to fishing , even the small pits no one hunts . I caught 2 limits of crappie between oct.21 - nov. 1 and would like to try for more this week-end but SOL .
    You can fish now as the duck hunting or waterfowl hunting season ended Nov 10th. But it starts back up on Nov 30th and will run into next Feburary. We get to fish again next March 2014.

So make hay while the sun shines.

I know a good spot for catching catfish at night this time of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    I too think that we should be allowed to fish after the waterfowl hunters stop hunting. They are only allowed to hunt from sunrise until Noon. Why can't they allow us to fish after they get off the water?

And you are right not all the smaller pits are used for waterfowl hunting. You can't hunt on Loon. I'd love to fish on Loon during November especially when it's a nice afternoon. The water's cooled down enough to make the crappie bit and the air is warm in the afternoons.

I did notice that there are a lot of waterfowl hunters taking advantage of the hunting opportunities at Bluegrass F&W.