Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Markland Dam Park

I live in N.KY and my son and I went down to Markland Dam Park yesterday just over the river in Indiana to check out the bank fishing there. I had never been down there before. I was looking for any tips on how to best fish that area from the bank - really looking for any fish - sauger, white bass, stripers, whatever is biting.

I see where the dam says to stay back 150 feet so throwing bait up close against the wall is out of the question I assume (which would probably be good fishing). I had a relatively heavy jig head with a white grub but still couldn't cast it out as far as I would have liked. It seemed to me that the best way to fish might be to fish like you would in the surf with a 1+ sinker and a hook with bait fish - cut or live, get it way out there and slowly bounce it back to you. I have heard its possible to fish the Kentucky side but couldn't see where you could fish except possibly all the way at the end past the end of the wall on that side and I didn't see a way to get there.

Any tips on best bank access would be appreciated.

Thanks. mbk

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish the area that you mentioned. If you are on the bank you can fish all the way up to the wall past the hydro. The 150 back sign is to keep boats out of that area. Sauger should be starting to show up there now. Lead head jig and a twister tail grub or sassy shad type plastic will do well anytime of year. I have caught sauger, white bass, hybrids, stripers, gar, drum, LM and smallies on those. If the sauger are in good you'll typically find a bunch of people fishing close together. They may be at the wall or they may be down below the park or even further down stream. Same for other species. Sometimes the fish are at your feet (like I've had hybrids hit me just before I lifted the bait out of the water) other times they are 100+ yards out. I usually pack a few different rods with me when I fish there. Light action rod for when they are in close and a surf rod for when I have to reach out and touch them. Have never fished the KY side.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. I fish for crappie most of the year but my son is a species seeker. He likes pulling whatever he can from the river so he will like this. He would enjoy catching any of the fish you mentioned. We'll try to head down there a few times this winter.

Thanks again. mbk

Post Thanks / Like
    I "grew up" fishing from the bank there before I had a boat. Can be great at times. I do best in lower flow so check hydro reel before you go. APB hit it on head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I wanted to follow up with one more question:

Has anyone fished the Kentucky side? I have heard of people doing this - I think they said they walked down past the end of the locks on that side. Can anyone confirm that there is public access on the Kentucky side - and if so - is it worth it to try fishing that side, or would I do just as well from Markland Dam Park?

Thanks!
    mbk

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Side.

Quote Originally Posted by mbk View Post
    Hi. I wanted to follow up with one more question:

Has anyone fished the Kentucky side? I have heard of people doing this - I think they said they walked down past the end of the locks on that side. Can anyone confirm that there is public access on the Kentucky side - and if so - is it worth it to try fishing that side, or would I do just as well from Markland Dam Park?

Thanks!
    mbk
    I have fished the KY Side, but there is a creek just SW from the Locks. There is a small place you can pull off and park on the South side of the bridge, and a trail that leads out to a rocky point, where you will have access to the mouth of the creek, the slack water of the lock, and the rocks. I have only been there twice, and haven't caught a **** thing, but it looks, feels real good. I have heard if they are in there, you can absolutely kill em, and it looks the part.

The Indiana side is a bitch, but I had a bit more luck with sauger, crappie, and had a nice eye get off right in front of me. There are several rock piles that the fish will stack up behind, you just have use enough weight to find them, and then hold the bait down, as I have always seen stout currents there. Usually throw 1/4oz. jigs to start, if that don't work, add a no snag sinker. Be prepared to donate tackle!!!

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another question about Markland Dam... I wanted to maybe go fishing down there this weekend (to catch anything).

I have been looking at the web page for water levels:
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...iln&gage=mklk2

It looks like the water level will not be too high. But, last month, I drove down and found the river wasn't high but the water was really running hard and it was tough to fish. So, my question is this : is there some reading on this page that helps you predict whether the water will be rushing or not during a certain window of time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbk View Post
    I have another question about Markland Dam... I wanted to maybe go fishing down there this weekend (to catch anything).

I have been looking at the web page for water levels:
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...iln&gage=mklk2

It looks like the water level will not be too high. But, last month, I drove down and found the river wasn't high but the water was really running hard and it was tough to fish. So, my question is this : is there some reading on this page that helps you predict whether the water will be rushing or not during a certain window of time?
    from the link posted above go to Ohio River Forecast Center top right side of graph Then click on Forecast & Info ( left side of this page then click on Ohio River Flows. This this will give you flow volume and velocity in mph. I like to fish under 2 mph anything approaching 3 mph forget it. My preference others may not mind the real fast water but you need heavy no roll sinkers to keep bait in one place jigs will hang up pretty quick at high flows

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by monarc View Post
    from the link posted above go to Ohio River Forecast Center top right side of graph Then click on Forecast & Info ( left side of this page then click on Ohio River Flows. This this will give you flow volume and velocity in mph. I like to fish under 2 mph anything approaching 3 mph forget it. My preference others may not mind the real fast water but you need heavy no roll sinkers to keep bait in one place jigs will hang up pretty quick at high flows

Awesome. That was what I was looking for... Thanks.