Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling for Crappie

Last year was the first time I ever trolled for Crappie. I had pretty good success being my first time. Granted I never caught a limit per day but every fish was in the size limit. My problem was line twist when reeling them in. I was wondering if using a swivel will affect the motion of the hard bait? All advice is welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearfish View Post
    Last year was the first time I ever trolled for Crappie. I had pretty good success being my first time. Granted I never caught a limit per day but every fish was in the size limit. My problem was line twist when reeling them in. I was wondering if using a swivel will affect the motion of the hard bait? All advice is welcome.
    here is some good reading, hope it helps.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/louis...rolling-101-a/

Post Thanks / Like
    A swivel will not change the action of a crank ... but it probably won't do a whole lot of good if the crank is looping because of speed.

Many crank trollers/pushers will have a swivel on the weight .... attached to the leader line the crank is tied onto (by straight tie or a clip). Others may have swivels on both ends of the leader ... or just on the crank (if there's no weight being used).

It's all in how you want to rig them up. Most cranks pullers/pushers I know use 2oz of weight & troll @ 1.8mph ... I usually push cranks &/or jigs .... and use 1.5oz of weight & troll at 1mph. But, I'm new to "pushing" and also don't have the trolling motor power to run much faster (for any sustained length of time). I'm more of a single pole jig slinger, and just "push" jigs/cranks when it's peak time for that type of presentation.
    Likes manbearfish liked this post