Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

tow vehicle ideas

Need a new tow vehicle,thinking about the new Toyota 4runner.Pulling a TR 20 Triton.Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a TR20 and pulled it with a 6 cylinder f150, now with a v8 silverado. Tritons are lightweight hulls and are generally easy to pull. The 4 runner would handle it fine

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine uses a 4-Runner to tow his boat with also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Skeeter 2013 ZX 200 and pull it with a 2008 Durango 4WD. It does very well. If I had to choose again, I would make sure it was a full size truck or full size SUV with the tow packages. Just believe its better to have all the power neccessary to travel the roads.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    We tow the same boat with 2 trucks for 5 hour trip to Cumberland. 1 is a Toyota with a 6 banger, 2 is a chevy with a 350. Both will use the same amount gas, the toy will know it on hills and ramps, the chevy never knows ita towing a boat. The biggest difference is braking, we had a large pucker incident on I-75 when a fire truck turned from north bound to south bound in front of us running 75 down a hill, it was tight, that truck still doesnt smell right in the cab today

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I have a TR20 and pulled it with a 6 cylinder f150, now with a v8 silverado. Tritons are lightweight hulls and are generally easy to pull. The 4 runner would handle it fine
    Nice job on the upgrade...............

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its hard to beat a tahoe for towing anything less than 23' cuddy or comparable boat. I towed for 4 years my 23' sea ray cuddy cabin 1979 so it is an extremly heavy boat. My buddies 2500 dodge hemi seemed to have a tougher time towing (could have been because of his loud exhaust) than the tahoe. It did after 4 years of heavy hauling burn the tranmission out but after $2200 repair it was still cheaper than buying a 2500 comparaiable truck that may or may not have had the same transmission problem.

Great braking and lots of room for hauling luggage.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Here's how I make sure I'm good to go with a tow vehicle:

Boat weight:
    Motor weight:
    Trailer weight:
    Gas tank size X 6.1 POUNDS PER GALLON:
    Main Engine battery weight (or 2 if equipped):
    Trolling motor weight:
    Trolling motor battery weight (or 2 if equipped):
    Rough estimate fishing gear weight (Tackle box, anchors, ropes etc):
    Total all above:
    Add 10% more for Safety:
    Final total estimate tow weight:

Then see specs on vehicle you may consider and select those that are over the final estimate above. Bigger is better. Better to have the capacity and not need it, then work the motor, trans and brakes to death starting and stopping a rig. More capacity means less work for key componenets, helps MPG, and reduces breakdown maintenance.

Given boat you described, any V-8 pickup ought do it. But look for the one that has the features you want, and the EPA mileage that helps keep costs down. V-6 Ford Eco Boost rates 23 highway for a 4X2 and 21 for a 4X4, but pumps out 420 pound of torque and 365 horse, and will pull better than a 5.7 Hemi that ***** gas. Chevy's are great trucks, and their 8's and six's may rate enough stanrad towing to meet your load. A ford F150 with a 3.7 V6 rates 5000 pulling power. When Ford hangs a tow package on , you get the hitch, 7 way plug, flat 4 plug, and a trans cooler.

I pull an estimated 4700 pound rig with a 13 F150 5.0 V8 and it don't know it's back there, pulling or stopping, and the standard trailer sway control add to the traction control for me has made a big difference on the "windie-twistie road from Jamestown Square to the J-town marina ramp.

No a commercial, just what I drive. Pics on my page what I pull. But don't be afreai to visit lots of dealers and drive everything they got to offer. Make em work for it! I love it when folks do that at my lot, because I know they either found what they really needed, or I got them headed on to what will work and I ain't got.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulling isn't the problem most of the time, stopping is. If your trailer has brakes it helps a lot. As stated before the smaller engines will be slower at times. Nothing beats a big motor for towing. I used to pull with a Dakota v6 3.9L it was ok and did a good job for what it was now have a F150 5.4L Triton. It is a beast has pulled everything it has been hooked to without any problems and gas mileage is better than the V6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barney90 View Post
    Need a new tow vehicle,thinking about the new Toyota 4runner.Pulling a TR 20 Triton.Any ideas??
    If you're thinking of a V6 for fuel mileage I heard the EcoBoost from Ford pulls very well. My buddy has one for a company truck and he uses it to pull his 20' skeeter and he said it pulls better than his Tahoe with 5.3 V8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    If you're thinking of a V6 for fuel mileage I heard the EcoBoost from Ford pulls very well. My buddy has one for a company truck and he uses it to pull his 20' skeeter and he said it pulls better than his Tahoe with 5.3 V8.
    I have a friend that pulls his 21 foot Skeeter with a 175hp Yammy on the back with the Ecoboost. I rode to Dale with him this past Spring in it and was AMAZED at how well it did. The only thing I did notice was that it sucked some gas and was about the same as my 5.3lt V8 in the Silverado would have used but it had plenty of power even on the big hills.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 06 F150 4.6 V8 and haul a 19 foot gambler. Good thing is it hauls great, bad thing is it has blew a plug off the head and i just replaced the rear end total $3000 in repairs. I would go with the Toyota. Ive owned a Dodge V8 as well and it had tranny problems twice and very crappy gas mileage (14mpg at best). My brother has a Silverado V8 and at 80,000 had the tranny replaced but it also hauled great. The Toyotas are known for being reliable as my next truck will be a Tundra.

Shawn