Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Big Game

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I had a buddy tell me he cannot go to Dale Hollow that weekend because of the big GAME.

Are you FREAKIN, FREAKIN kidding me. Watch the bobber drop or watch the ball drop?

Personally, I'm bobber watching any day..........Oh well, I guess I ask someone else.

Later,

Geo
    Looks like I get to watch the game, instead of fishin............

I'm SICKER than a dang dog..........I always get sick during Christmas. It must be all the running around.

I went pretty hard at it this fall. Maybe I have a to just take a break for a couple weeks

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I will take the Cards 77-72. Game is close throughout with lots of momentum swings, but experience wins down the stretch. Since Cal has been at UK, this is the hardest of these games to pick IMO. I am going to make one prediction that many may not agree with.

Regardless of who wins this game, I think the Cards go farther in the NCAA Tournament. The main reason I say this, is strictly experience, or rather NCAA Tourney experience. There is not a player on UK who has ever faced the pressure of playing in a single NCAA Tournament game and that is huge, because post season pressure is unlike what they face during the season. Louisville has a ton of tourney experience. Heck, Blackshear and Behannan have played in Final Fours every year they have been at Louisville and have a record of 10-1 in tournament games. Add in Russ, Hancock and even Tim Henderson and you have a battle tested team.
    We need a like button.

Post Thanks / Like
    C-a-t-s, cats! Cats! Cats!

Post Thanks / Like
    And the CATS win...even though we can't hit a free throw to save our asses. I was pleased with the energy from my Wildcats today at home, though there were still plenty of mistakes to languish. We pulled it out. I get frustrated with our inability to pass the ball when we drive into traffic, but it is what it is at this point. I think Kentucky needed this one worse than Louisville did.

Let me say that I love the fight that Smith and Jones brought from the red side of the floor. Those guys are just ballers. Louisville really needs an inside presence and they would be a serious force. Even still, I think they have the experience to make a deep tourney run.

Fun game...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised my cats won the way they did. They showed some real toughness today against a pretty good uofl squad. The inside presence was just to much for the cards to handle.uk really wanted the game more and uofl big men didn't show up. I expect both teams could make some noise come march. Or I atleast hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was impressed they played the way they did without Randle in the second half. Man he prolly would have had 30+ points if he could have played the while game.
    Anyway I never counted UL out because they are good enough to streak past anyone. Yes they needed more inside game and at times it looked like they were waay out of sync with passes. Gotta hand it to UK they did what I didn't think they would do based on their past performances. I think the boys at UK grew up a lot last night and doing it without Randle in the 2nd half puts a lot more confidence into that team. Good Kentucky basketball...

Post Thanks / Like

Russ

They depended too much on Smith and Jones. Behannen looked like a lost ball in high weeds. I figured he would have been a huge factor in this game. I also thought once Randle was out we were done.
    Folks can say what they want..the Harrisons are going to be a force.

A lot of pressure on these 2 schools to prove to the nation we are not flops...

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't watch Louisville play on a regular basis but remember seeing Behannan play, I think he was a Freshmsn, and telling myself what a beast he would be in a year or so. I don't see the Cards going very deep in the big dance without an inside presence plus the new hand check rules on defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly do not know how UK won playing such a poor game. They had Randle for only a half, barely hit 50% of their free throws, were abysmal from 3-point range and got nothing from their frontcourt when Randle wasn't in there. I guess they did it with defense which has been one of their Achilles heels all year so far. That, and Louisville sort of gave the game to them with turnovers, bad shot selection, etc.

Like I've said previously, I don't think either team is all that great at this point and both need to improve a lot to be considered serious contenders for the title. U of L has to get something/anything out of it's front court or teams can just extend the defense and take away the 3-ball. The only other thing they have going for them is Russ Smith in transition. He's almost unstoppable unless he stops himself.

UK still needs to learn the intensity level it takes to play at this level for all 40 minutes. They also need Cal to teach them some semblance of a half-court game and they need to go to church and pray to the free-throw gods to get them up to at least 65%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    I don't watch Louisville play on a regular basis but remember seeing Behannan play, I think he was a Freshmsn, and telling myself what a beast he would be in a year or so. I don't see the Cards going very deep in the big dance without an inside presence plus the new hand check rules on defense.
    I agree with the need for post presence, but have hopes for Mango, who is further ahead than Gourgi was at this stage of his career, also, UK has some of the best post play in the country when they come to play.

The hand check rules have actually helped Louisville. There is no way without grabbing or holding that you can keep Russ and Chris Jones in front of you and they are quick enough on their feet to keep most anyone in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude that was the best game Kentucky has played all year by a long shot what the Hell are you talking about. Now I missed it by 1 point and it went exactly as I thought it would. The whistle favored UK to and I usually don't get caught up in that too much but in Rape arena I expected that to. That crowd intimidates ref's BIGTIME.
    Behannon is a Pothead and should not even be on the team I have been consistant with that to I can't stand him, he's a Cincy Punk. VanTreese God bless him is just terrible I have no clue how he is on a major D1 program and atually gets playing time. I agree with Tim, Mango will be good. He is light years ahead of where Gorgi was at this stage of playing time. He needs to put some weight on like Deing did and experience and he'll be fine. Blackshear the human pussy did his usual Houdini act and disappreared as he does in almost EVERY big game.
    Chris Jones is as good as any guard in America I could care less how tall he is. He is every bit as good no really better than either one of the Harrison Twinks. This whole UK crowd last year said Louisville was overrated and wouldn't go anywhere in the tourney and they won a title so I am far from panic mode. Will they go that far no not likely but I would not be shocked at all to see them in a third consecutive final four. UK will go as far as Randall will take them, the other guys played out of their skull as I expected, death threats on tweeter helps that, LOL.
    Louisville took horrible shots and nobody got on the glass, Harrell played like he didn't want to get a foul on him and Behannon smoked a fattie. Put Randall on the Cards roster and they win another title this year, one GOOD Big is all that is lacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Team Stats Louisville Kentucky
    Shooting 23-58 (.397) 27-62 (.435)
    3PT Shooting 6-26 (.231) 3-14 (.214)
    Free Throws 14-22 (.636) 16-30 (.533)
    Rebounds 12-36 17-44
    Assists 8 8
    Steals 6 3
    Blocks 5 4
    Turnovers 13 11
    Fouls 25 19

The stat lines that I think were the real difference maker were rebounding, turnover margin, and fouls.

Kentucky won the boards and the (2) turnover margin was significant because it meant that we handled Louisville's press, didn't let them turn us over much more than we turned them over. That was big. I say that the number of fouls stat line was significant, not because it generated any more points for UK (we only had 2 more points from the line than Louisville did), but because a couple early whistles on Blackshear were troublesome for the Cards in the 1st Half. He only played 12 minutes total in the contest. To have played 20 minutes and only have 2 fouls, Behanan's only credit was 7 rebounds. His stat line is barren otherwise. She-nay-nay Stein's scoring for UK was lackluster to have played 35 minutes with only 2 points...but did swipe 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, and a steal. Mango had 4 blocks, to She-nay-nay Stein's 3 blocks.

Kentucky's scoring was more balanced than Louisville's, which did rest heavily on Smith and Jones. As much as I haven't been a big Harrison twins flag waver, they did account for 28 points, 3 assists, and 8 rebounds between them. I can't tell them apart anyway, so I just lump them together. lol Throw in Randle's 17 and Young's 18 and it was a bit too much for what Louisville had in the tank.