Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hamby or Keel Guard

I live in Spencer County and looking for a place to install a Hamby or Keel Guard on my boat. I haven't decided which one I'm going with but looking for someoen in the area to talk about it and get it done.

Thaks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one (Hamby) installed years ago. I think the place was Fint body shop in Frankfort. Check the webpage for authorized dealers and installers. There are two in Frankfort and Sheppardsville. I've put Keel Guard on my jet ski and replaced my Hamby after 7 years with one too. Had an issue with my Keel Guard and they replaced it with no problem or issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    the wife and I put my Keel Guard on my Ranger in less than an hour, very simple just follow the intrusions

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the Hamby Light also. I've installed them on my last 2 boats and have been very pleased with them... Just another option... Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the keel guard on in 30 minutes myself and its still going strong after 3 years. As easy as they are to install i wouldnt pay somebody to do it

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a Keel Guard on my Triton last year and like the others said it took about an hour. Also like others said mine started coming back off, separated from the adhesive. Called Keel Guard and they replaced it without a problem, they did not however remove the old one from my boat. I even offered to take it to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a pressure washer and a sander to get the adhesive off my boat when I replaced my Keel Guard. No chemical I or they would recommend to do it. As a matter of fact, I told them about the pressure washer use and they said nobody had ever thought of using one. Worked fine on my boat.

20 minutes and then put the new one on.

TG

Post Thanks / Like
    The Keelshield and Light Duty Hamby's are about the same. Both make a good product and they are fairly easy to install. I would recommend waiting until the weather is above 65*. Unroll it and lay it out in the sun for a couple of hours. It will adhere to the fiberglass better if the temperature is warm. I helped a friend install one and if my memory is correct the instructions recommended the temperature be over a certain degree so it will cure to the fiberglass better.

If you plan on owning the boat for several years get a Heavy Duty Hamby's. They cost a lot more and have to be installed by a authorized dealer. They are worth the extra money if you are going to own the boat for the long haul. My 99 boat had a Heavy Duty Hambys installed when the boat was bought new. In the last 14 years it has been pulled up on a concrete boat ramp hundreds of times. I fish by myself most of the time and always pull my boat up on the ramp (if it is not crowded) Even if I have a partner I will pull the boat up on the ramp to pick him up (if it is not crowded). Go to a dealer that installs the Heavy Duty Hamby's and compare the thickness of it to a Light Duty Hamby's or a Keelshield and you can easily tell a big difference in the thickness.

No matter what you choose having one is better than not having one. If you want the most durable get the Heavy Duty Hamby's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Happy fishin in the New Year