Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Marker Buoys when fishing

How often do you use marker bouys when fishing? If you use them do you often drop a series of them or mostly just one to mark a spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually drop one to mark a spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    Usually drop one to mark a spot.
    Thanks for the reply. I was talking with a friend who uses them often. I don't use them a lot and I was curious how often others did. I think I might try to use one more often this year.

Anyone else have a preference?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use them for crappie fishing got mine at bp think you get three of them with a holder. If i see a bunch of gathered fish on my depth finder I drop one and pull away and fan cast that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use them very rarely, but when I do it's generally two at a time. I don't like the idea of dropping one right where I want to fish because it might spook them and I also worry about getting a fish on and having it get tangled up in the buoy's line. I like to keep them just far enough away from the target that I don't worry about spooking them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    I use them very rarely, but when I do it's generally two at a time. I don't like the idea of dropping one right where I want to fish because it might spook them and I also worry about getting a fish on and having it get tangled up in the buoy's line. I like to keep them just far enough away from the target that I don't worry about spooking them.
    Thanks, that makes sense about not dropping it too close. You mention that you usually drop two, do you put them each wide of the structure and cast in between them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard of a guy who used to drop marker buoys during tournaments at random places, just to mess with people

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense about not dropping it too close. You mention that you usually drop two, do you put them each wide of the structure and cast in between them?
    You got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I heard of a guy who used to drop marker buoys during tournaments at random places, just to mess with people
    I see a buoy and no one around....it gets run over or cut!

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll use buoys to mark midlake ledges and creek channels while fishing them. It's just easier to watch the buoys than it is to watch the depth finder. One time a guy ran over one of our buoys and the string fouled his prop, I think our laughing upset him a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post
    I see a buoy and no one around....it gets run over or cut!
    That doesn't seem just a little drastic to you? What's with the attitude?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball View Post
    That doesn't seem just a little drastic to you? What's with the attitude?
    No attitude....Almost without fail when I am fishing a bank, ledge, etc....some bubbas come riding in and cut in front of me at least once everytime I am on the water. I think the lake is big enough that you can fish another bank until I am done and have moved on or get behind me if that bank is so good.

Now you want to put buoys out to hold a spot....not happening. I use buoy markers, fish that spot then pick them up...if I leave them I expect them to be gone.

I have discovered in the few years I have been fishing that most folks are fairly polite and considerate....but there are always the ones that think they are priviledged. And it seems to becoming more prominant.