Search Fishin.com

Thread: Jerk baits

Post Thanks / Like

Jerk baits

I have never fished jerk baits, but I want to try them this year. I did a search and found lots of information on this site. It seems they are better in clear water. My question is does anyone use them with any success on lakes like rough river that aren't as clear as some of the other lakes in KY. If the the answer is yes, are there any suggestions on colors and depth ranges to fish them for these types of lakes. There seems to be lots of choices and I'm not sure where to start. I have a gift card from bass pro that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, you can expect to get a very wide range of opinions on this - it's like the old Ford vs Chevy debate. Everybody has their own favorites as far as brand name, size, color, depth, action, cadence, attitude at rest and who knows what else. I would suggest buying baits from several different manufacturers to begin with. If you just use one brand to begin with, you might have great success with it, fall in love with it and never know what you're missing by not giving the other baits a chance.

The only thing I like better than catching bass on a jerkbait is catching them on topwaters - any topwaters, so I throw a jerkbait about any time I think there's a chance that it might work. Yes, they are definitely better in clear water. I've caught smallies at Cumberland on everything from a pink (yes, I said pink) X-Rap to a clown pattern spoonbill Rogue. I even caught a striper that was probably around 25 pounds on the big Rogue.

As far as fishing them in off-colored water, I'd say muddy water is pretty much off the table but they will still work in stained water. My experience with them in stained water has been to switch to any dark color which creates a better silhouette or go with something really gaudy like fire tiger. If there are smallies where you're fishing, don't be afraid to get too gaudy - with smallies, sometimes the freakier the better. Good luck with learning a new technique. I hope you have as much fun with it as I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like hairball said, get a few different colors, sizes, and brands and start fishing. You will eventually get some confidence in a couple of different jerkbaits and then begin to expand your arsenal based on your preferences.

For me, I definitely think that clearer water is better because jerkbaits don't create a huge commotion so they attract more of a visual bite. As far as colors, when the water is really clear, I prefer a shad pattern that is translucent. As the water gets slightly more colored, I like a shad pattern that gives off some flash. When the water is stained, I'll throw one that is darker in color like an orange, gold, or green that also gives off a lot of flash. As far as depth goes, it just depends on where the fish are. I've caught fish on deep diving X-Raps and I've caught fish on floating jerkbaits as well. Learning a new technique is a lot of trial and error so just don't give up. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely worth adding to your arsenal. I have caught Hybrids and bass in Herrington, bass, small mouth and Walleye in Cumberland, bass and small mouth in KY River, Bass in Cave Run, on X-Rap jerk bait this year. Of course you may want to take this with a grain of salt as somehow I managed to catch 3 catfish on a Kastmaster too. One each at Cave Run, KY River and Herrington Apparently I have a hard time focusing on the task at hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I just read a really good a article on jerk baits and think I'm gonna pull a couple out of the tackle box this winter. I never really use them much but after reading on Wired2fish.com I think I might have to. Here's the article- http://www.wired2fish.com/8-coldwate...e-overlooking/. Also just check out the website in general. Lots of good articles and monthly giveaways if you sign up. They always send me good free decals and etc. there's always a good article to read to expand your fishing iq. Mainly bass fishing talk but there may be some catfish for all of the crazy catfish gurus on here. Tons of good tips tho. Hope this helps! Drew