Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New crankbait rod?

I'm looking for a new crankbait rod. I'm looking at 3 different models. The quantum kvd tour rod, the skeet reese crankbait rod, or the st croix mojo glass rod. Anybody have any input? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need to tell a little more info. What size of crankbaits do you plan on using with this rod?

Post Thanks / Like
    st croix

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my rods are St Croix and I have been very happy with them. I don't have that particular model so can't offer any specific feedback on that model.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 of the Wright and McGill Rick Clunn Cranking rods which should be made from the same S-Glass blanks as the Skeet Reese rods. I have the 7' lipless crankbait rod and love it. I like the slower action of the glass and how it lets the fish get the bait in their mouth and load up the rod. I throw everything from squarebills to 5XD's on it. I also have the longer rod for deep crankbaits like 6XD's and DD22's. I forgot how long it is but I think its 7'8". This rod is a little tip heavy and doesn't feel as nice as my other one but it gets the job done. I know they aren't the exact same rods that you are looking at but, like I said, they should have the same blanks. I hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I'll mainly be using it for mid depth to some deeper divers. I have something else for squarebill cranks. I do like the way the skeet reese feel though. So, mainly I just want a kind of do it all, other than the big xd baits

Post Thanks / Like
    If my memory is correct there is two different S-Glass Skeet Reese crank bait rods. There is a 7' and a 7'11'. I have owned the 7' cranking rod for 2-3 years. It does a god job on medium and shallow divers. It is also OK on lip-less crank baits. It has been my experience that if you put something on it that will dive more than 8 ft there is not enough backbone to efficiently pull it through the water. The rod loads up too much from the tension of the bait coming through the water.

If your looking for a rod that will perform well on both deep and shallow divers I think you will be disappointed with the 7" model. However I would recommend it for medium and shallow running crank baits plus rattle traps. I have no experience with the 7'11" model so I can not speak of its performance.