Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your choice either clean air or clean water

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...sk-water-coal/

When I first started studying Environmental Science at Purdue University I discovered something that I though was Out of Order. I saw right away that we were taking the pollution out of the air and dumping it into the ground or the lakes and then into the River. We would recover a chemical from the soil and burn it off into the air. We would take stuff out of the soil and burn it in a rotary incineration and just put the chemcials back into the air. We would remove things from the water and put it back on the land.

All we do really most of the time is just move the pollution from one place to another.

I was taught the saying. The Solution to pollution is dilution. And the definition of pollution was basically too much of a bad thing in the wrong place.

But look at how these chemicals are made? The chemical companies take the basic elements and chemically combine them to make new chemicals. Or they take oil and refine it to help make new chemicals. Petroleum products and just chemicals that we distilled out of the oil which we pumped out of the ground.

When this big spill occurred in West Virginia I heard people saying that they didn't know how the chemical would affect people. Yet the Chemical Company was allowed to make this chemical without having to provide any data on how the chemical would affect life, human or other plants and animals. We make the EPA have to prove that the chemicals are harmful after it's made. I think that's backwards. Why not make the Company who makes these new chemicals prove that they are safe and are not harmful instead of making the regulators prove that they are not safe?

I think that we would have a lot less chemicals being made and that the cancer rates would be going down.

It seems that if you don't die from a heart problem you are going to die from cancer these days. These two diseases are the main two forms of mortality in the USA and probably in the world. There is a reason why this is happening.

Now this company is filing for Chapter 11 or 13 bankrupsy and won't have to pay for this clean up and the damage that they did by allowing this chemical to leak into the river.

I already have been diagnosed with cancer and now this slug of chemical is coming down to Ohio River to the town where my family gets their drinking water from. Not good ... Not good.

I fish in a old Coal Company Abandoned Strip Pit along with thousands of other people in this area. The coal company shut down operations back in the 1980s and the State IDNR purchased the property.

Somehow the Coal Company failed to fill in the deep pit that they dug in this bottom land area near a big creek that feeds into a bigger creek that feeds into the Ohio River.

The bottom of this big pit and many of the other pits is filled with coal dust or coal Muck. I can see it on my anchor weights when I put out the boat anchor and pull it up or pull up the weights for my marker buoys. The lead weights and the boat anchor are covered with this black coal mucky stuff.

Now I worked in a Water Quality Analytical Testing Laboratory and did a lot of water testing for the Coal Companies and other Big Companies in this area. I've tested the lake where they store their waste and I've tested the well water around some of the big companies land fills in this area. So I've seen a lot more than most people have over the past 30 years.

The last place I worked in the Environmental Testing Field required the workers to sign a legal agreement to secrecy. I never signed that paper as it gave away many of my rights as an American. Also they wanted me to give them all the money if I discovered a new process that was patented or something. IMHO the guy who owned the company was a JERK! He was a jerk from the first time I interviewed with him and I left that company after one year. Working in the Environmental Testing Field was not fun. Too much drama IMHO. I'd rather be out fishing and hunting or boating that working for Jerks like that guy.

Another company I worked for was Core Labs. I knew a girl that worked for them. She use to ice skate at the same ice rink where I played Ice Hockey. So one day she brought her boss to the Ice Rink and introduced him to me. He was not an Ice Skater and could barely stand up on the ice skates. But when we talked while standing out in the middle of the ice rink he refused to tell us who he did testing for. After he left the city to go work in another laboratory ( we had labs all over the world back then) another good friend of mine took over his job. I started working at the same lab with my friend as my boss. Only then did I realized how many big corporate clients we had. We did sampling and testing for all the biggest companies in the area. And not one piece of information was ever given to the public. It's all done in secret. Data that we collected was given to the company's and they would turn that data into the State. You see the State IDEM or the City Water/sewer dept. required these companies to turn in quarterly reports on their pollution. They SELF reported all the data to the USEPA, State IDEM or the City EPA or water and sewer dept. This is how it's done.

And this is what happens when things are done this way. Millions of people can't drink the tap water for a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post

When I first started studying Environmental Science at Purdue University I discovered something that I though was Out of Order. I saw right away that we were taking the pollution out of the air and dumping it into the ground or the lakes and then into the River. We would recover a chemical from the soil and burn it off into the air. We would take stuff out of the soil and burn it in a rotary incineration and just put the chemcials back into the air. We would remove things from the water and put it back on the land.

All we do really most of the time is just move the pollution from one place to another.

I was taught the saying. The Solution to pollution is dilution. And the definition of pollution was basically too much of a bad thing in the wrong place.

But look at how these chemicals are made? The chemical companies take the basic elements and chemically combine them to make new chemicals. Or they take oil and refine it to help make new chemicals. Petroleum products and just chemicals that we distilled out of the oil which we pumped out of the ground.

When this big spill occurred in West Virginia I heard people saying that they didn't know how the chemical would affect people. Yet the Chemical Company was allowed to make this chemical without having to provide any data on how the chemical would affect life, human or other plants and animals. We make the EPA have to prove that the chemicals are harmful after it's made. I think that's backwards. Why not make the Company who makes these new chemicals prove that they are safe and are not harmful instead of making the regulators prove that they are not safe?

I think that we would have a lot less chemicals being made and that the cancer rates would be going down.

It seems that if you don't die from a heart problem you are going to die from cancer these days. These two diseases are the main two forms of mortality in the USA and probably in the world. There is a reason why this is happening.

Now this company is filing for Chapter 11 or 13 bankrupsy and won't have to pay for this clean up and the damage that they did by allowing this chemical to leak into the river.

I already have been diagnosed with cancer and now this slug of chemical is coming down to Ohio River to the town where my family gets their drinking water from. Not good ... Not good.

I fish in a old Coal Company Abandoned Strip Pit along with thousands of other people in this area. The coal company shut down operations back in the 1980s and the State IDNR purchased the property.

Somehow the Coal Company failed to fill in the deep pit that they dug in this bottom land area near a big creek that feeds into a bigger creek that feeds into the Ohio River.

The bottom of this big pit and many of the other pits is filled with coal dust or coal Muck. I can see it on my anchor weights when I put out the boat anchor and pull it up or pull up the weights for my marker buoys. The lead weights and the boat anchor are covered with this black coal mucky stuff.

Now I worked in a Water Quality Analytical Testing Laboratory and did a lot of water testing for the Coal Companies and other Big Companies in this area. I've tested the lake where they store their waste and I've tested the well water around some of the big companies land fills in this area. So I've seen a lot more than most people have over the past 30 years.

The last place I worked in the Environmental Testing Field required the workers to sign a legal agreement to secrecy. I never signed that paper as it gave away many of my rights as an American. Also they wanted me to give them all the money if I discovered a new process that was patented or something. IMHO the guy who owned the company was a JERK! He was a jerk from the first time I interviewed with him and I left that company after one year. Working in the Environmental Testing Field was not fun. Too much drama IMHO. I'd rather be out fishing and hunting or boating that working for Jerks like that guy.

Another company I worked for was Core Labs. I knew a girl that worked for them. She use to ice skate at the same ice rink where I played Ice Hockey. So one day she brought her boss to the Ice Rink and introduced him to me. He was not an Ice Skater and could barely stand up on the ice skates. But when we talked while standing out in the middle of the ice rink he refused to tell us who he did testing for. After he left the city to go work in another laboratory ( we had labs all over the world back then) another good friend of mine took over his job. I started working at the same lab with my friend as my boss. Only then did I realized how many big corporate clients we had. We did sampling and testing for all the biggest companies in the area. And not one piece of information was ever given to the public. It's all done in secret. Data that we collected was given to the company's and they would turn that data into the State. You see the State IDEM or the City Water/sewer dept. required these companies to turn in quarterly reports on their pollution. They SELF reported all the data to the USEPA, State IDEM or the City EPA or water and sewer dept. This is how it's done.

And this is what happens when things are done this way. Millions of people can't drink the tap water for a week.

if you think it's bad now, can you imagine what it would be like, if we didn't have the EPA looking down the shirt collars of the big companys. and a lot of these guys want to call President Obama a Rascal, for patting the EPA on the back. I've worked for 5 different companys in my life, and it totals 41 years in the work force. and all 5 companys, would do anything they could keep hidden from the inspectors, to rush a job. I'm sure there would be a lot more jobs, if the EPA just went away, like smoke in the darkness of night. but then again, what good is a job if we don't have air and water, we can breath and drink.