Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

what depth finder to buy

I purchase a new boat to me and want to update the depthfinder I think this one was the one on the mayflower.
    Want to spend 300.00 went to bp and talked to the person about them to get an idea. He said lowrance vs humming bird flip a coin. He also said down imaging at that price doesnt work when sitting still or if water is stained. He also said you have to be moving for this to work. Im not very good with electronics want something that is idiot proof to use.
    Thanks for any imput
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    I purchase a new boat to me and want to update the depthfinder I think this one was the one on the mayflower.
    Want to spend 300.00 went to bp and talked to the person about them to get an idea. He said lowrance vs humming bird flip a coin. He also said down imaging at that price doesnt work when sitting still or if water is stained. He also said you have to be moving for this to work. Im not very good with electronics want something that is idiot proof to use.
    Thanks for any imput
    Bob
    It is true that a Down Image system will not give you a picture quality image when sitting still ... you do have to be moving. At that price range, I agree that HB vs Lowrance is a coin flip decision. If you use the factory settings (default) and don't want to go through a learning curve on how to operate a depthfinder system ... I suggest getting the biggest screen b/w or color 2d depthfinder that you can find in that price range.

While I agree that the image won't be all that good when sitting still, using a DI unit ... the stained water part of the salespersons statement is bogus IMHO. A Down Image unit will show picture quality images just fine in stained water, but you do have to be moving ... otherwise you're going to get a repetitious blur across your screen. Suggested speeds for high quality images on a DI unit, are 1-8mph. But my Elite 5DSI has shown me very good images at speeds less than 1mph ... on Herrington, Green River Lake, & Taylorsville, and I don't consider them "clear water" lakes.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    pappy, I would like to meet you one day and fish and pick your brain on crappie fishing you seem to have a wealth of knowledge you have turned me on to paul mullins jig making, micro light rods for pan fish. All your advice has paid off thankyou for your reply.

bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Brian at BBG marine and electronics. He was very helpful to me when I was wondering in electronics land. I gave a HB 788 HD DI on the bow I use for fishing over brush at Green and a HB 898 HD SI on the console. Both work very well in stained water. I use the Switchfire setting on top and DI on the bottom as a split screen deal while fishing over stuff.

Pappy is right, bigger the screen the better. The 2D Switchfire works really well.

You can Goggle them for their webpage. They had the best prices, too.

TG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    pappy, I would like to meet you one day and fish and pick your brain on crappie fishing you seem to have a wealth of knowledge you have turned me on to paul mullins jig making, micro light rods for pan fish. All your advice has paid off thankyou for your reply.

bob
    You're welcome, Bob .... but I just tell folks what works for me. I'm no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, and have learned a lot of what I know from fishing websites like this one.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hummingbird if you want simple. Lowrance is not my favorite. Fished with them on the big lakes for a few years.

I got a hummingbird last year for my small boat , PirannaMax 175 and it works very well. Super simple.