Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aborting our old fishing trip and starting fresh

Hi there, every year for the past 10 or 15 years my father and I have taken a trip to Laurel to catch trout. Starting about 5 year ago we just stopped catching fish completely. After some investigation I found that in their infinite wisdom they completely changed the trout stocking schedule for the lake around the same time we stopped catching fish. Now we are lucky if we catch two trout all day and night. Not worth the trip and definitely not worth the money for the boat rental. I own a bass boat but since there is usually 4 or us and we just camp on the side of the lake we rent a pontoon for 24 hours. Anyway we have decided to pull the plug on Laurel and head for greener pastures. Right now we are looking at Barren or Green for Crappie. Again we can't really fish for bass because my boat is the only one we have. Here's the thing. We can't go until May so it will be after the big bite for crappie. Is there anywhere else within 3-4 hour drive of NKY to catch fish without having to cover a lot of water? Also in May which lake would you recommend, Green or Barren? Thanks for any help. This is the only fishing trip I go on with my dad and it really means a lot to me.

Post Thanks / Like

People catch crappie year round

Just because the crappie are not spawning in May doesn't mean that you still can't catch them They still have to eat even after they spawn.

In fact I catch a lot of crappie in May. Just fish a little deeper and located some brush piles near the drop offs. Check out the creek channels that run though flat areas and look for bends in the creek channel with structural elements like stumps or brush on them

Crappie like to roam along the ledges looking for schools of bait fish.

If you have a good hydrographic map of the lake you intend to fish then you can do some pre planning before you get there. Pick some good looking spots and try them out until you locate the fish.

Don't forget the crappie nibbles, various weights and colored jibs and buy some minnows too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Hi there, every year for the past 10 or 15 years my father and I have taken a trip to Laurel to catch trout. Starting about 5 year ago we just stopped catching fish completely. After some investigation I found that in their infinite wisdom they completely changed the trout stocking schedule for the lake around the same time we stopped catching fish. Now we are lucky if we catch two trout all day and night. Not worth the trip and definitely not worth the money for the boat rental. I own a bass boat but since there is usually 4 or us and we just camp on the side of the lake we rent a pontoon for 24 hours. Anyway we have decided to pull the plug on Laurel and head for greener pastures. Right now we are looking at Barren or Green for Crappie. Again we can't really fish for bass because my boat is the only one we have. Here's the thing. We can't go until May so it will be after the big bite for crappie. Is there anywhere else within 3-4 hour drive of NKY to catch fish without having to cover a lot of water? Also in May which lake would you recommend, Green or Barren? Thanks for any help. This is the only fishing trip I go on with my dad and it really means a lot to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nolin crappie have been on fire with good size and numbers for the last few years. I would consider it if I was targeting crappie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Nolin crappie have been on fire with good size and numbers for the last few years. I would consider it if I was targeting crappie.
    Wow this past year at nolin was probably my worst. Really disappointing year but that must of just been me b.c everyone else said it was great lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Im by no means a crappie fishermen, but we caught them really well in april/may this year on Green. Found them on points, humps, and flats always around brush. I was using minnows 6-8ft deep on a slip float and we were catching 100 a day and didnt consider putting anything under 11" in the box

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input! I think what we will have to do is take my bass boat down there since I have the fish finder and just use that to find a spot then hopefully we can fish them from the pontoon as well. I am also not a crappie fisherman but like I saw bass fishin 4-5 guys from a bass boat is not really do able. We will probably use mostly minnows and I am sure if I am on a new lake with my bass boat I will probably be bass fishing as well. Thanks again guys I think we are going to give it a shot. Its always ***** going into something blind like this but you'll never learn anything new if you don't give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    When fishing a new lake, I highly suggesting trying to hire a guide. Its not cheap, but its cheaper than being frustrated, burning gas, etc. I started going to KY lake and hired Dave Stewart and it completely jump started our success rate. Tell the guide you want to learn the lake, seasonal patterns and a few spots and he should be willing to do so. Dont camp out on his spots, but ask if he can help you with a few and stay out of his way, and you have many strong trips in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do decide to hire a guide, give my friend David Jones a call : http://www.greenriverlakecrappietrips.com/guide.html

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the old schedule for stocking trout and what did they change it to?

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I could find they use to stock roughly 120,000 in February or March. Now they are stocking 30,000 at 3 different times throughout the year. So there are 30,000 less fish and they are not schooling like they used to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. The TWRA have done the opposite on Dale Hollow. They release all the trout at once near the end of February and the fishing has gone down hill ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Barren By Far

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    I'm a bit biased, but I'd hit Barren. The last three years, we have absolutely pounded the papermouths! The report from Fishin is Life on Green is consistent with what i've heard others say about that lake, but I just know Barren a lot better. Same targets, same depths, I never go without minnows.

We've caught coolers full in upper and lower parts of the lake at that time. The population is great with lots of hefty slabs and a few holy crappers! Hell, we been releasing fish smaller than 11". I'll even throw ya a bone. If you put in at the State Dock, head to port and go under 31E bridge. There are a couple coves on the left after you pass the bridge, I think its the second one that has a few docks to the rear with some trees and brushpiles. Work 4-8' deep with minners. I tend to throw a 1/16 or 1/8 weedless Slider in white or black/chartreuse tipped with a minnow hooked from under the head through the top, and just let it drift right above/ticking the branches. Dad always uses a slip bobber. Yanked some really nice ones from under those docks too. Also, most of the coves that have docks, the folks usually sink cedars or christmas trees around them. They tend to get real irritated when they see you pulling fish off em! That is probably why I enjoy it so much!

That time of year, though, you may pull one or two nice fish out of every hole. So if you see submerged timber, don't pass it up. The state dock or Sawyers Marina should have the new map that shows where the hingecuts, brushpiles, and stake beds are located also. Good Luck.