Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trokar and tungsten

Are the trokar hooks and tungsten weights really that much better for soft plastics fishing. I just bought some over the weekend thinking they might come in handy during spring time tournaments. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't tried Trokar (still a little pricey for me) but I like the tungsten (not that they are cheap either) because I can feel the bottom much better than with lead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I have never tried the Trokar hooks so I have no opinion on them. As for tungsten I do think it is a little more sensitive than lead but not as much as most people claim. However one thing I have noticed is tungsten does not hang up as bad as lead weights. I suppose it is because it is more compact yet the same weight as lead. That is just a guess but I do know it does not hang no where near as much as lead and that is worth the extra in price for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    Haven't tried Trokar (still a little pricey for me) but I like the tungsten (not that they are cheap either) because I can feel the bottom much better than with lead.
    I got my trokars on amazon and I got 4 of em for 6 bucks. The tungsten was even more and u only get 2-3 weights. I figured that it's worth a try. Only thing I do t want to happen is get stuck on them and not be able to go back to lead and cheesy walmart hooks

Post Thanks / Like
    Trokars are definitely worth the money. Only thing, you have to watch when fishing in rocks with them to make sure the tip don't get bent, only ones I've had trouble with the tips on is the drop shot hooks. I've been fishing them exclusively for the last 2 years, except on my shaky heads, but I've started pouring my own now with trokar hooks, so now I'm pretty much 99% trokar. LOL They are pricey, but they are extremely sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    If comparing to cheap Walmart hooks as you said then yes you will see a difference they are much sharper and stronger. I personally use Owner hooks for bass fishing, stripers, and saltwater and they are far superior to Eagle or Gamagatsu etc. As an example I was using Gamagatsu circle hooks last year in the Gulf because I had left my hooks at home. I and a friend broke off 6 fish in 3 days by snapping the hook in half. These are very thick 6/0 and 7/0 hooks and they would snap when pulling up a big grouper or snapper. Now I don't mean just reeling one in I'm talking about winching one in to get them out of the wrecks. I have never broken a Owner hook even in a smaller diameter wire hook in the same size. Their Mutu light is stronger than Gamagatsu standard hook.
    Now I have broken off small #2 type hooks on way too big of fish that took the bait a few times in Owner but never a correct size hook for the fish.
    Those Trokars are very sharp and strong but I don't know that they are any better than Owner and worth more than twice as much. If you are a guy that doesn't cling and jerk when he sets the hook they may pay off due to being sharper and will get a better hook set. But if you are the guy that dang near throws your partner out of the boat when you set the hook, then you will drive that dull hook home anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hook sets are never very big and I would have to say last year I probably lost over 15 fish on the hooks I was using. And I might have to try those hooks you use justin. Thanks! Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to be very careful about rolling the point on trokars, and tbe same goes for BPS hooks. I fish Gamakatsu and Owner and have never rolled a hook point. It doesnt take as much pressure to get a hook through a fishs mouth as one might think with the leverage of a rod and being above the fish. I did break a 5/0 Owner hook last year flipping, I'd have to assume it was just a factory flaw. Trokars are very sharp, sharper than other brands, but with the added cost and rolled hook points I'll stick with Gatsu and Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like owner is the way to go. Might pick some of them up too sometime Thanks again, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    Seems like owner is the way to go. Might pick some of them up too sometime Thanks again, drew
    Tackle Industry is getting ridiculous. I still use BPS EWG hooks for my soft plastics with now issues. If I get hung I break it off. Stick a hook point on your hand and have someone set the hook with any hook on the market.....it's going to penetrate. IF you're using heavy weights for flipping I guess Tungsten is the way to go but if you're using small weights lead will be just fine. I think people care more about what their using (name brands) than the task at hand and that's catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    Tackle Industry is getting ridiculous. I still use BPS EWG hooks for my soft plastics with now issues. If I get hung I break it off. Stick a hook point on your hand and have someone set the hook with any hook on the market.....it's going to penetrate. IF you're using heavy weights for flipping I guess Tungsten is the way to go but if you're using small weights lead will be just fine. I think people care more about what their using (name brands) than the task at hand and that's catching fish.
    I understand your point. I'm thinking I'm only going to use these for tourneys and where I know I won't snag. I usually only use gamagatsu's which have gotten expensive themselves. At walmart it's about 3 bucks for 6 little hooks. You know it's not costing them even a quarter to make those thinks :mad: Thanks, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Trokars and Tungsten is my favorite. I started using them(Trokar) almost exclusively last year--at least on my main hook size and shape that I use 90% of the time. I think they are awesome. www.tacklewarehouse.com had a 25 days of Christmas sale and the price was a little more bearable. I bought a bunch of them. They are pricey, but they work!

Tungsten are the only weights to use in my opinion. Used them exclusively for a long time now---they are the best!