Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer wheel bearings

Anyone ever had bearings go out on their trailer tires? I did last summer and was stuck on the side of the road for 5 hours... It was miserable. I noticed my tire was wobbling from side to side, and drove it as far as I could but didn't make it home, it was finally wobbling so bad I thought the wheel was going to fall off, and it was grinding like metal on metal sound. So I stopped and was stranded on the side of the road for 5 hours, putting a new set of bearings on and packing them with grease. But I got it fixed, and then a few days later went to a marine shop where the checked both wheel bearings and made sure they were ok. My question is, ever since then I've been paranoid about them going out again, because that sucked being stranded on the side of the road and wound up costing quite a bit. But ever since then, I may be paranoid, but I look at my trailer tires and it looks to me as if they are leaning (top of the tire in, and bottom of the tire out), like they aren't trailing right. Could just be that I'm paranoid, but the guy at the marine shop said he kinda thought it looked like it also. But he said the bearings were ok cause he checked them and they were ok and he repacked them with grease. I wondered if maybe when I had the bearings go out on that one side, I drove it too far with it wobbling like crazy and possibly bent the axle? The guy at the marine shop said it was possible, but if it did he couldn't tell by looking at the axle, said it looked straight, but could be off but not enough to see it. He said just to drive it and if I started having tread wear on one side of the tire, then I probably had a bent axle. It's driving ok, and no tread wear yet (I've taken several trips since the bearings were replaced), but I am just paranoid, and it looks like the tires aren't sitting upright/even up and down... It looks like they're sitting/running like this / \. Any suggestions? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Just don't want to have the same issues when I start fishing again this spring. And by the way, I grease the bearings every few trips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very inexperienced when it comes to boats ant trailer maintenance so take this for what it is worth. You mention you grease every few trips, could you be adding too much? I seem to recall my dealer telling me to make sure to not put too much grease or it can cause problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest fear it for my truck to break down while towing the boat. What do you do then? I would hate to leave the boat and trailer alongside some road if the truck needs to be towed somewhere. What have people done in that situation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    My biggest fear it for my truck to break down while towing the boat. What do you do then? I would hate to leave the boat and trailer alongside some road if the truck needs to be towed somewhere. What have people done in that situation?
    Friends...........GOOD FRIENDS.

I'd like to think that if I broke down somewhere, I could get a buddy to come and get my boat and deliver it home before I left it on the side of the road.

Later,

Geo