Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Reel (Shimano or Lews)

I also posted on BBC, but I'm looking for some advice on a new reel. Right now I am a big fan of Shimano, but have never tried a Lews. I have the Curado 200E and a Chronarch 200E and looking to add to it a little more. I have looked at the new Curado I, Chronarch CI4 and at another Chronarch 200E. I also looked into a Lews Tournament Pro. It will be going on a 7'1 MH Omen Black. Does anyone have any advice on a reel?

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to always buy Shimano until a few years ago after purchasing a Stradic that gave me a lot of trouble. That motivated me to want to at least try a different brand for a comparison since I had only bought Shimano for such a long time. I switched to Pflueger and have liked them real well. I have never owned a Lews so can't compare the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had great luck with Shimanos. But the last one I bought didn't seem to hold up very long. Lew's used to be excellent, but haven't had one in a long time. My last reel purchase was the Diawa Aird 2500 Spin. Have it on a 7' Carrot Stick. I couldn't be happier. So I'm saving my pennies for a Diawa Lexa Baitcaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'd be happy with either brand. I'm personally a fan of the Curado E series. I just spoke with a Shimano rep at the Bassmaster Classic Expo and he showed me the new Curado for 2014. It has been totally redesigned (Inside and Out). My first impression from handling it is that it's going to be a smooooooth beast of a work horse that fish should fear!

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get into the higher priced reels, they should all be good. I've been using the Curados for years and loved them all; however, recently I upgraded my three jigs rods to the Chronarch CI4s and found them to be comfortable, lite and wonderful for casting all weights. My advice: get the CI4.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never fished a lews but have fished shimanos all my life until the curado g series. I can't say anything about them that hasn't been said already.

Once I got rid of the three g models I bought I went to abu revos and was satisfied. Some say they are the same as lews? I can tell you that I bought two shimano symetres last summer and they are JUNK! I plan on replacing them with pfluegers.

I hope the new curado is a quality reel, I really believe they have some qc issues lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    My next baitcaster will likely be a daiwa tatula but once the new curados are available to the minions, I will definitely give them a fair shake. I have a few greenies and e models and couldn't be happier with them!

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a lews and love it. Getting another one when I get a little spare change.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got to test out my new Tatula this past Saturday after the lakes defrosted and it felt great. Great casting reel. I only fished for about an hour with it though. It figures that Shimano would release a new Curado after my purchase, I have always been a Shimano guy, but did not like their current line up so I bought the Tatula after a lot of research. The new Curado I looks very good though. I cannot wait to play with one of those.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont let the G series curados deter you. I have 12-15 curado and chronarch E series and they are tanks, just like the old greenies were. Very few mid level reels out there withstand the test of time, and most that do are shimanos. I wont say anything about the lews or tatulas because i havent used them, but most that have like em. Will they hold up, only time will tell. The older mid level daiwas were smooth out of the box but quickly wore out. I used them, i know this for a fact. They dropped the ball with the T-wing system on the ballistics, so maybe the tatula will be a homerun. Ill have to see how theyre working after a couple years before i buy one. I think shimano got a lot of bad PR for their G series reels, i'd say theyll get it right this time

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I bought two lew's last year. I'll have four after this year

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass Pro Has Curado's on sale march 15th for 99 dollars. Limit 2 and you will have to get there early it is a Saturday so it will be packed....They are pretty good about having quite a few but you never know ....I wouldn't get there at 10 and expect to have any left.....just thought I'd add that....