Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody recommend a kayak?

What do most of you guys use? Prefer a sit on top type. Let me hear the pros and the cons of what you have or have had experience with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have tried both types and prefer a sit on top. More room to store gear and easier to modify to how you want to fish it. Mostly fishing calmer water: lakes, slow moving creeks/rivers, and ocean bays on calm days. Picked up an Ocean Kayak Caper several years back. Been a good yak for me. I would recommend trying a few out prior to purchasing to see what works best for how/where you fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plan to try out conoe ky and see what they offer. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak

I own 5 kayaks. Go with sit on type for sure!! Ascend at bass pro is less than 600 and is a nice boat. 10-12 foot is good length. Canoe Ky has great selection, but have a pricey selection. The one I use is a Jackson Coosa. Pretty good, but there are now cheaper and better ones out there. How fit are you? Young and flexible, I saw one at Walmart I liked for 450. Seat on the floor though. Old like me, I like a seat that sits up, takes pressure off your lower back. Won't matter the first few hours, but by hour 3 - 9, it matters for me!! Don't spend a fortune... Even a 200 kayak gets you fishing this summer. Floyds fork, elkcorn are two good areas to fish. We go to PA and kayak fish the clarion river at Cook's Forest, Clear Creek state park, every year for last 15 years. Prettiest place on the Earth I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a sit in kayak I bought at dicks for $340. It has tons of storage room and two rod holders. I believe it's a future beach trophy 126. The seat in it is adjustable and gives a good comfortable ride. Only needs about 3 inches of water to be able to stay off the bottom. It has adjustable foot pegs and cuts the water great. A great kayak for leisure kayaking, fishing, and even some rougher water. Lightweight too. Hope this helps, drew

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been looking at them since last spring and I think I might actually finally pull the trigger on one this season. I have gone back and forth between a handful of brands and models that I have considering as being the best choice for myself. Right now the one I am leaning towards is a Wilderness Systems Ride 115x Advance Angler.

I also really like the Nucanoe Frontier 12 very much as well and if I end up enjoying kayak fishing and find out if my back can handle it I might eventually try and buy one of those at some point. They look to be by far the most stable and can easily be rigged back and forth for one of two people based on if you are fishing alone or with two people that day. They also have some real nice seats that can rotate 360 degrees which I like as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobie Outback or ProAngler

For me the answer is easy. first, a sit on top kayak is a must, if you're wanting a fishing kayak. 2nd, if you want a sit on top fishing kayak the answer is a Hobie either the Outback model or the ProAngler in either 12' or 14' model. The biggest aspect about the Hobie's that make them superior is the hands free MirageDrive system. The good thing about the MirageDrive is hands free fishing and speed. you can pedal alot faster than you can paddle. The mirageDrive is also good to go in very skinny water. I use my Hobie on Lakes as big as Cumberland and St. Clair, Saltwater in the Gulf of Mexico and flows as small as Elkhorn Creek or the New River in VA, and I'm able to use the MirageDrive on them all. One big thing about the ProAngler is the seat, it is by far the best seat for a kayak I've been in. It's fully adjustable, like a 7-way power seat in your vehicle. back tilts, seat has an up/down adjustment, very, very comfortable seat. Boat will have laydown style rod storage so you don't have rods sticking up out of the back. can easily hold 6 to 8 rods/reels. a tackle management system for easy storage and access of tackleboxes, and comes Lowrance ready for an easy no drill, install of a Lowrance fishfinder. Alot of options and features with the Hobie!!

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-outback/

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-12/

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/