Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax marina blocking up river on Nolin

Went to Wax yesterday and started up river to some of our best fishing spots this time of year but couldn't pass the marina, totally blocked! The marina is a mess, a hugh log jam in the middle of the dock and boats setting on the bottom. I was upset but went on out into the lake and caught some bass, biggest was 3lbs. with 3 more over 15". Water temp. was around 45.
    The fish are hungry! It looks like no one has maintained this marina all winter, shouldn't the owner monitor it and keep a channel open upriver? We have a shollow running boat, all we need is 12" of water, why can't they keep the passage open to the 10+ miles of river so we could all have access to?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is becoming a yearly issue with several anglers it's pretty irresponsible to leave it in that condition but idk how the problem would be fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckykingfisher View Post
    This is becoming a yearly issue with several anglers it's pretty irresponsible to leave it in that condition but idk how the problem would be fixed
    they lease the space from the corp. If enough people BITCH about not having access, maybe something could be done.

It is irresponsible if you ask me.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone should start calling the Corps of Engineers!!! If enough people call something will be done. When the water is at winter pool Wax is the only place put in if you're going up into the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    Everyone should start calling the Corps of Engineers!!! If enough people call something will be done. When the water is at winter pool Wax is the only place put in if you're going up into the river.
    I reckon I'll give the Coe my 2 cents. It's annoying as hell and really inconvient they allow the marina to block off the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 (270) 286-4511

That's the number to the corps of Engineers at Nolin!!!! Everyone give then a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    +1 (270) 286-4511

That's the number to the corps of Engineers at Nolin!!!! Everyone give then a call.
    The marina has ask the corp to dredge around the marina as I understand and they refuse to do so.

The corp doesn't care if you can fish or not! You need to call Fish and Wildlife and maybe they can put some pressure on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    The COE emailed me this

"Wax Marina sustained some damage during past rain events. While this doesn't happen every day, it is not unusual for floating structures to be damaged by changing water levels or other natural events. Wax Marina is currently addressing the issues caused by this."

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys now this is getting out of hand. I emailed the COE back asking for a timeline for when this May get fixed.

This is what they said

"It will probably be sometime this spring, after the water level is up, before the docks can be moved back in place."

Wow. I'm mad. Now is the time that I want to be fishing the river above Wax and I can't. Now it's time for us to start calling KY Fish Wildlife.

Northwestern Fishery Biologist

Rob Rold
    (270) 273-3117
    rob.rold@ky.gov

Please y'all. Blow the fish and wildlife, COE's phones up!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

explain Dredge

I know how the channel runs, those who know the area also know. Not seeing what and where the blockage is perhaps someone can explain. Is it that trash has floated down an caught between the dock an the bank, or has the dock broken lose and the dock itself is blocking the fairway bank to bank....

Working around docks a lot of years here, trash log jams etc. 2 guys 2 boats a couple days tops clears that issue.

docks strung across, a little more labor intense but doable in a few days, Obviously the corp. has let a facility go beyond
    acceptabile (sp) standards.

if anyone cares to share what the sight looks like thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man";529176]Ok guys now this is getting out of hand. I emailed the COE back asking for a timeline for when this May get fixed.

This is what they said

"It will probably be sometime this spring, after the water level is up, before the docks can be moved back in place."

Wow. I'm mad. Now is the time that I want to be fishing the river above Wax and I can't. Now it's time for us to start calling KY Fish Wildlife.

Northwestern Fishery Biologist

Rob Rold
    (270) 273-3117
    [EMAIL="rob.rold@ky.gov
    rob.rold@ky.gov[/EMAIL]

Please y'all. Blow the fish and wildlife, COE's phones up!!!!

Thanks!!!!
    My guess is b lowing fish and wildlife phones up will accomplish aero. This is not an issue they have any say in. This is all on the COE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I also know the channel very well up into the river. That being said. Wax moved the dock over into the channel. Most likely cause last year the boats on that dock were setting on the mud bottom!

But they need to keep the channel open to the public just my 2cents.