Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Northern KY 10hp Lakes Changing to Idle Speed?

I haven't seen the article but my girlfriend read it in the Georgetown paper that Kincaid, Boltz, Bullock Pen, Corinth and Elmer Davis were being discussed to remove the hp restrictions and make them idle speed. It said there were going to be some forums to discuss it coming up. Anyone else hear anything about this? Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope that is true because that would mean they listened to us when they did the poll regarding this last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great if they changed it. How soon could the change take affect.

Perhaps this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSOHOLIC View Post
    That would be great if they changed it. How soon could the change take affect.

Perhaps this year?
    Whether you are for or against this proposal if you want to be heard you need to follow the directions below.

FRANKFORT, Ky. – The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will hold a series of public meetings to discuss a proposal to lift motor restrictions on several small department-owned lakes in the state.
    A series of meetings will begin March 18 concerning Boltz Lake, Bullock Pen Lake and Corinth Lake in Grant County, Beaver Lake in Anderson County, Elmer Davis Lake in Owen County and Kincaid Lake in Pendleton County. Adjoining landowners and the angling public are encouraged to attend these meetings.
    Currently, boaters cannot use a motor larger than 10 horsepower on these lakes. The proposal would lift the horsepower restriction, but only allow larger motors to run at idle speed on these lakes. Idle speed restrictions would be strictly enforced. Boat motors that are 10 horsepower or less could continue to operate at any speed.
    The proposed regulation would also affect Shanty Hollow Lake near Bowling Green and Swan Lake in Ballard County. The public can submit comments concerning the proposal to lift horsepower restrictions on these two lakes during March and April by calling the department at 1-800-858-1549, or sending an email to the department at fw.fisheries@ky.gov.
    The series of meetings will include the following:

· Kincaid Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Tuesday, March 18, multipurpose building at Kincaid Lake State Park, 565 Kincaid Park Rd, Falmouth.
    · Corinth Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Wednesday, March 19, Corinth Community Center, 315 Owenton Road, Corinth.
    · Beaver Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Thursday, March 27, Emma B. Ward Elementary School Cafeteria, 1150 Bypass North, Lawrenceburg.
    · Elmer Davis Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Tuesday, April 1, Owen County Cooperative Extension Service, 265 Ellis Hwy, Owenton.
    · Boltz Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Wednesday, April 2, Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area (WMA) clubhouse, 230 Gardnersville Road, Crittenden. From I-75, take Crittenden exit and continue onto U.S. 25 South. Turn left onto Gardnersville Road, cross railroad tracks and continue to clubhouse.
    · Bullock Pen Lake, 7 p.m. (Eastern), Thursday, April 3, Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area (WMA) clubhouse, 230 Gardnersville Road, Crittenden. From I-75, take Crittenden exit and continue onto U.S. 25 South. Turn left onto Gardnersville Road, cross railroad tracks and continue to clubhouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    They did it this year in Ohio on Acton(Huston woods) and Cowan lakes. Guess they have figured out on how much revenue they were missing out on by not having the club tournament fishing community not using their lakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see it happen. However I would hope they would make it idle speed for all boats regardless of HP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RngerMac View Post
    I would love to see it happen. However I would hope they would make it idle speed for all boats regardless of HP
    I feel the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RngerMac View Post
    I live in Alexandria, KY. I fish most of these lakes that are mentioned all year long. About 10 years ago, I had a 18ft bass boat. I got frustrated because to use it, I had to go to the river, or drive at least two hours in any direction to find big enough water to start the motor. I eventually sold it, and purchased a 1448 Tracker Grizzly about 3 years ago. I built it with these smaller lakes in mind, and dropped about $6000 in it, with the thought that I would keep this boat forever. It is also just big enough for the bigger lakes and the river when I want to hit some bigger water. I am totally for raising the restrictions on the 10hp lakes, but if they change the rules to idle speed for all boats, I just wasted about $6k, and I should have kept my big boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tweek View Post
    I live in Alexandria, KY. I fish most of these lakes that are mentioned all year long. About 10 years ago, I had a 18ft bass boat. I got frustrated because to use it, I had to go to the river, or drive at least two hours in any direction to find big enough water to start the motor. I eventually sold it, and purchased a 1448 Tracker Grizzly about 3 years ago. I built it with these smaller lakes in mind, and dropped about $6000 in it, with the thought that I would keep this boat forever. It is also just big enough for the bigger lakes and the river when I want to hit some bigger water. I am totally for raising the restrictions on the 10hp lakes, but if they change the rules to idle speed for all boats, I just wasted about $6k, and I should have kept my big boat.
    but then you couldn't fish the pondhoppers with the big boat. Steve Pierce

Post Thanks / Like

Pondhopper tourneys.

Quote Originally Posted by slackdaddy View Post

Where can I find a list of pond hopper tournaments in KY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    Where can I find a list of pond hopper tournaments in KY?
    They are in the tournament section on here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slackdaddy View Post
    I hear you buddy. I will actually be out of town for our first tournament. Should be there in April though. Not happy about it, it's for work.