Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 25
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olive Hill
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Help

    Where are you a Fireman at? Maybe I can help you out and give you a few pointers.

  2. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like
    The zilpo flats are directly across the lake from the Alfrey ramp located on 801. There is a beach there as well. I wouldn't use the leatherwood ramp if I weren't familiar with the lake. That goes for a few other ramps as well. There's plenty of great fishing in the dam end of the lake too.

  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jackson
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imthemedic View Post
    Where are you a Fireman at? Maybe I can help you out and give you a few pointers.
    I'm with the Preston fire dept out around owingsville and was also on canoe in Jackson. As for the leatherwood ramp it was the one that was the less steep my truck is a v6 5 speed and some of those were a little steep for my trucks liking. And a few better ones where still closed.

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pikeville/Lexington
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    I'm with the Preston fire dept out around owingsville and was also on canoe in Jackson. As for the leatherwood ramp it was the one that was the less steep my truck is a v6 5 speed and some of those were a little steep for my trucks liking. And a few better ones where still closed.
    When the lake comes back up Warrix is a less steep ramp, and Claylick isn't too bad, Scott's Creek is pretty steep tho.

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're new to boating/fishing in reservoirs and you're not familiar with navigating channels marked with buoys, I strongly advise you to familiarize yourself. Cave Run has too many tree tops and stumps that can get you if not careful! In Beaver you better stay between the buoys and don't ride the edge to close, you'll get the scare of your life if not worse! Going up the Licking is deceiving. I'm comfortable on the lake but I've more than once have had a surprise on Licking. Cave Run is a Beautiful and fishable lake. Enjoy and be careful.

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pikeville/Lexington
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
    If you're new to boating/fishing in reservoirs and you're not familiar with navigating channels marked with buoys, I strongly advise you to familiarize yourself. Cave Run has too many tree tops and stumps that can get you if not careful! In Beaver you better stay between the buoys and don't ride the edge to close, you'll get the scare of your life if not worse! Going up the Licking is deceiving. I'm comfortable on the lake but I've more than once have had a surprise on Licking. Cave Run is a Beautiful and fishable lake. Enjoy and be careful.
    Yes sir, No Doubt!! The Licking is an animal, I wish they would bouy it. I can't run it thats for sure, although I know a few people who can, it is very dangerous.

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always had my best luck for Bass at Cave Run, fishing at night ... late Spring through the Summer. I'd start cranking at dusk, and crank my way from Scott Creek to the dam ... then worm fish my way back. Caught some good Smallies crankin, and some decent LMB's wormin.
    I've "heard" it's dangerous to throw a chartreuse spinnerbait down there ... and I can vouch for the fact that it's dangerous to throw a chartreuse back jerkbait LOL !! (toothy critters like those baits !! )

    Fished the lake since it opened ... but, haven't fished it but a few times over the last 15-20yrs.

    ... pappy

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jackson
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first day out with my boat I found a stump and immediately turned around and left from the beaver area. I'll not be up in there anymore until I invest in a GPS unit. It didn't take long for me to start searching the web for the meaning of bouys after that lol. No harm no foul that day. Knowledge and wisdom come with it I suppose.

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pikeville/Lexington
    Posts
    1,362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    My first day out with my boat I found a stump and immediately turned around and left from the beaver area. I'll not be up in there anymore until I invest in a GPS unit. It didn't take long for me to start searching the web for the meaning of bouys after that lol. No harm no foul that day. Knowledge and wisdom come with it I suppose.
    The basic idea is to stay as much in the middle, between the the red and green markers as you can. don't try to run too fast. but yes a GPS helps a ton especially for making a trail that you follow the second time.

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgetown, KY
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    A GPS is a wonderful device however in my opinion when running up or down Beaver I'd much rather be paying attention to the buoys and other boaters than having my eyes averted to a small GPS screen. I've gone up and down Beaver too many times to remember and have had no problems navigating using the buoys. Several lessons learned though is don't get too close to the edges of the channels and always beware of other boats and especially faster boats coming up from your stern. There is alot of good fishing in Beaver. I reckon the main thing is to get familiar with your boat and the handling of it, navigation rules and to take it slow when learning a body of water. Crappiepappy, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I've seen guys running full throttle up licking and I know they are using a GPS or really know the river. I don't think I could've or would've done that when I was younger! I certainly don't have the pair to do alot of things I use to. I tend to be more cautious these days. Can't wait to get out there soon! This little cold snap didn't help the water temp any I'm sure. You don't happen to know the temperature of Cave Run right now do you? I scheduled myself to be at Ky Lake this past Monday and Tuesday and cancelled out due to the weather. Heading down there in a week or so though. Can't wait! I appreciate your service to your community Firefighter215 and please be safe at your job and on the water.

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
    Crappiepappy, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I've seen guys running full throttle up licking and I know they are using a GPS or really know the river. I don't think I could've or would've done that when I was younger! I certainly don't have the pair to do alot of things I use to. I tend to be more cautious these days. Can't wait to get out there soon! This little cold snap didn't help the water temp any I'm sure. You don't happen to know the temperature of Cave Run right now do you?

    LOL ... yeah Cpt O ... I WAS much younger when I started fishing Cave Run, and I've never been "up river" any farther than the big point with Zilpo Rd on it (across the lake from Claylick) ... !!

    Sorry, no ... I don't know the water temp, and the COE websites where I'd get that info haven't been updated since Oct 2013. The phone # 606 783 7001 (lake info) does not contain water temps ... just water level info.

    ... pappy

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like
    Water temp was in the mid 40s last weekend. May have come down some with the cold this week.

Similar Threads

  1. Cave Run Lake Bass Fishing
    By tweek in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
  2. Cave Run Bass Tournaments?
    By BassAssassin in forum Kentucky Fishing Tournaments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 04:33 PM
  3. Cave Run Bass Tournaments?
    By BassAssassin in forum Kentucky Fishing Tournaments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
  4. Cave Run white bass
    By scragley in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
  5. Cave Run Bass
    By apb in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •