Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

bass fishing cave run

I live 15 minutes from cave run lake and I was trying to get some info on the bass fishing there and grayson lake. Is it tough fishing any good 10 ft flats to fish and where the better fishing is. Im not asking for anyones honey holes but just some advice for a young guy. Which is a better bass lake cave run or grayson.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I fish Grayson some. It can be a tough lake. There are also some big fish in it. However, catching them is tough. Lots of small spots in Grayson. I'm fishing Grayson this weekend actually. Try yatesville if you can drive a little farther. It is heavily pressured, but better fishery. you won't get any help from anyone there! Lol good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cave Run is better by far. Grayson is good at this time of year but once it warms up keepers are hard to come by most of the time. As far as places to fish on Cave run just look for grass on the main lake or you can put in up the river at poppin rock and fish rocky banks and wood cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cave run can be a tough lake to fish as well. If you are planning on fishing from a boat and haven't spent much time operating a boat on cave run take it easy and pay attention to channel markers. I know I am not the first that found zilpo flats at about 50 mph. Luckly I didn't bottom out just got a prop full of grass. There are stumps EVERYWHERE so be on the look out. I am yet to go there and not hit one. Just take it slow and you'll be alright. Zilpo flats is probably the most popular area but can get crowded with musky fishers. I've never had luck anywhere but the rock ledges and the backs of coves.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Cave Run

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    I live 15 minutes from cave run lake and I was trying to get some info on the bass fishing there and grayson lake. Is it tough fishing any good 10 ft flats to fish and where the better fishing is. Im not asking for anyones honey holes but just some advice for a young guy. Which is a better bass lake cave run or grayson.

I haven't fished Grayson in years, but Cave Run is not a bad lake at times. Get a map first and pay close attention to the words standing timber. Has a lot of just below the surface trees and can be harmful to motors and boaters. There is plenty of shallow flats to fish without going in these areas. Look for grass!!! This year may be a rough one if the water stays up and muddy, grass can't grow. The lake has Musky in it and early in the year both bass and musky can be caught on flats.
    Crank

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough but awesome lake! The water can be extremely clear. The Zilpo flats can be a lot of fun. If you head back into the upper creeks, and there are miles of them, timber is everywhere as others have noted. Use the lightest, clearest line you can find, and if you happen to hear big tails slapping the water, throw on a leader and big, big spinner, bulldog, or live squirell, small dog, cat, rabbit,.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I went out there 3/18/14 tuesday first day with my new boat and my first boat. Put in at leatherwood ramp and headed up lake. It didnt take me long to turn around after running up on a sumerged stump. Really didnt do much fishing just trying the boat out. It looks like my next investment will be a gps system.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went out there 3/18/14 tuesday first day with my new boat and my first boat. Put in at leatherwood ramp and headed up lake. It didnt take me long to turn around after running up on a sumerged stump. Really didnt do much fishing just trying the boat out. It looks like my next investment will be a gps system.
    There are channel markers in Leatherwood and on the main part of Beaver Creek until you hit the main lake...USE THEM!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    There are channel markers in Leatherwood and on the main part of Beaver Creek until you hit the main lake...USE THEM!!!
    where is zilpo flats located?

Post Thanks / Like
    where is zilpo flats located?
    Find Zilpo Campground on a map. The flats are just off the peninsula to the SW. Google maps has Zilpo and Twin Knobs confused, so try to find the Corps Map or Kentucky Division of Forestry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyemaniac View Post
    Find Zilpo Campground on a map. The flats are just off the peninsula to the SW. Google maps has Zilpo and Twin Knobs confused, so try to find the Corps Map or Kentucky Division of Forestry.
    I'm an idiot. Apparently, I don't know how to read a map. They have it right on Google. The flats are just north of Zilpo Campground. You can't miss em, I believe they have bouys marking them.

Post Thanks / Like
    10-4 I am a week day warrior so hopefully all the weekend warriors will be at work and Ill be one of of the few on the lake. How are the flats around leatherwood. I was there back last fall and it was down quit a bit so I go to see some of the terrain I was dealing with up in there.