Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing trip with my dad

My dad decided he actually wants to go on a fishing trip with me in May/June. I'm surprised because he isn't much of a fisherman. Anyway, we would like to go somewhere in KY, and stay in a place that is on or very close to the lake we are fishing. I have a boat, but haven't traveled to fish a whole lot. I've been to C-land, Norris, and Nolin. Would like to try something different. Anyone have suggestions on what lake to fish (bass mostly) that time of year, and where to stay at said lake?

Post Thanks / Like
    you can't beat fishing trips with your father , we have taken a trip every year since 1986 , been to some really good lakes and some duds . that being said i don't think you can beat ky & barkley , lots of lodging and plenty of fishing , not as busy during the week but a huge set of lakes and plenty of ramps to get out of the wind or dodge some crowds .

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going for Bass, it is hard to beat Kentucky Lake. I would recommend The Moor's Resort for your lodging on the lake...they have cabins and lodge rooms, full service marina and on site restaurant. You should make reservations now though as they get booked up during the season. If you are looking for something a little cheaper, I would recommend The Bel Air Motel located near Kentucky Dam State Resort Park. Nice folks and clean rooms...less than a mile from the marina and plenty of restaurants within a 5 mile radius.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    If youre going to KY/Barkley for the first time you may look into hiring a guide like Dave Stewart. Those lakes can be treacherous if you dont know what youre doing. If you can run the lake fine, theyre so big they can be intimidating as to where to start. However, they offer the best bass fishing in the state and a guide will ensure you catch fish and make it a great trip for you and your dad with plenty of fishstories to tell from now on

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you dead set on KY? From Alexandria, You can be in Detroit in 4 hours and fish St Clare for Smallmouth.
    The last week in May should be awesome this year.. That's the week I plan on being there again.. It can be down right stupid fishing.. (Meaning that you can throw about anything and catch a crap load of smallmouth)
    You can stay about 4 miles from the lake and have all kinds of restaurants and stuff to do at night.
    Just a thought...
    Other than that I would say Ky Lake. You can stay at The Moores/ Big Bear and be right on the water with public or private boat ramps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Green River Lake has floating cabins for rent at Green River Marina. The bass, musky and crappie fishing is pretty good too. See the following link for cabin rentals. http://www.greenrivermarina.com/cabins.html