Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington- bass and monsters

Anyone been there this year. Have my KSHAA tournament comin up with fisherman14 in 2 weeks. That Thursday before will be the first time I've ever fished it. Any tips on wheeee to fish and what to use would be greatly appreciated. I know I'll already be throwing a jig, jerkbait, spinnerbait, soft plastics, and crankbait. Aside from this I've been tryin to do my research and came across some posts on here from around 2006! There was a huge post on a lake Herrington monster. Anyone know anything about this. Found it pretty interesting and would make a great story. Think I might have to take down some shark gear and go down a couple days early and see if I can catch her. Any info on either would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry it's a little late.) thanks,drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Drew, We at Lafayette Hosted a tournament last Saturday there, Sorry you couldn't get down to fish it with us.
    We had 20 boats and only 5 weighed fish.. I am proud to say that 3 of those were from Lafayette!
    Be that as it was, St Xavier whipped everyone with about 8 lbs. 2 guys that live on the lake caught 2 fish that weighed about 3 or 4 lbs and pur 3 boats had 1 fish each.
    The wining lures were a Rapala Shadrap and Spinner baits. All of the fish wer caught on the lower dam side of the lake. Most were caught on bluff walls (lol) if you have ever been to herrington, you know that that is kind of a duh.. statement as most of the lake are Bluff Rock walls.
    The water was still in the 45-49 degree temp range and the bite was slow for everyone but St Xavier. Koodos to those guys.. They actually cullled fish!. A buddy of mine was ahead of them on the bank and was throwing a shadrap (same thing they were throwing) they never weighed a fish.. It's all about finding a pod of fish that are ready to eat!
    Good luck at the event, I'm sure we will see you there!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's about the last thing we want to hear. My buddy and I are fishin for trinity (X's rival). But I think that it will all depend on what the fish want that day under those conditions. Thanks for all of the information! Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    Hey Drew, We at Lafayette Hosted a tournament last Saturday there, Sorry you couldn't get down to fish it with us.
    We had 20 boats and only 5 weighed fish.. I am proud to say that 3 of those were from Lafayette!
    Be that as it was, St Xavier whipped everyone with about 8 lbs. 2 guys that live on the lake caught 2 fish that weighed about 3 or 4 lbs and pur 3 boats had 1 fish each.
    The wining lures were a Rapala Shadrap and Spinner baits. All of the fish wer caught on the lower dam side of the lake. Most were caught on bluff walls (lol) if you have ever been to herrington, you know that that is kind of a duh.. statement as most of the lake are Bluff Rock walls.
    The water was still in the 45-49 degree temp range and the bite was slow for everyone but St Xavier. Koodos to those guys.. They actually cullled fish!. A buddy of mine was ahead of them on the bank and was throwing a shadrap (same thing they were throwing) they never weighed a fish.. It's all about finding a pod of fish that are ready to eat!
    Good luck at the event, I'm sure we will see you there!

Thanks for all the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington

I captained a boat in the Lafayette tourney, we only boated one fish but lost two nice ones. Best success was docks with spinnerbaits on the main lake. Prior week we pre fished back in the creeks where water temp was approaching 50 but the shad were THICK. I mean THICK. There's a shad kill at the ramp at pandora that stinks to high heaven. Hopefully by the time the KHSAA regional gets here the water temp will get to the magic 55.

Not sure how those St X kids did it, they had 5 that went a hair over 8 and took big fish too. They had better looking fish than anyone else, with good color to them.

Tight lines, and good luck in the tourney!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks dingbat!