Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Small lakes in eastern Kentucky?

I am planning a spring break fishing trip in Kentucky with my 7-year-old (Michigan Master Angler) son starting the week of April 7. We are bringing our 10 foot jon boat on the roof of the van and looking to hit small lakes (

Post Thanks / Like

East KY

What part of Eastern KY? There are fish trap & Dewey.

Lake Linnville is a good lake for a smaller boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the Kentucky's fish and wildlife departments search engine so you can search for places to fish. You can select to search by city or county, type of water body etc.

Good luck and I hope you and your son have a lot of fun. He will remember something like that forever.

https://app.fw.ky.gov/fisheries/waterbody.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Here is a link to the Kentucky's fish and wildlife departments search engine so you can search for places to fish. You can select to search by city or county, type of water body etc.

Good luck and I hope you and your son have a lot of fun. He will remember something like that forever.

https://app.fw.ky.gov/fisheries/waterbody.aspx
    T

Thanks a lot for that. It is just what I was looking for. I found the 2014 KY fishing forecast and think it is very informative but it was difficult to cross reference that to things that are in the east.

This tool makes it very simple. Thanks again.

My son is very excited but I am too. Our neighborhood lake here in southeastern Michigan still has a foot of ice on it. I've had enough ice fishing already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out panbowl lake, mill creek, stoner creek, greenbrier reservoir. Clear creek lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you make it to the Richmond area you could hit Owsley Fork. It is about 20 minutes off of I75. Its an electric motor only lake though. I used to fish this lake a lot from the bank while I was in college. Very clean and clear water last time I was there, and it generally does not see much attention, however I would argue one of the best kept secrets in central Kentucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The trip is over and we had a fun time although the fishing was a bit slower then we had hoped for. I think with the exception of one lake we visited the temperatures were just not there yet.

The first lake we hit was Owsly Fork. A few nibbles and my son caught one bass of a type which I am not familiar. It had some coloring like a largemouth, and a smallmout mouth, and red eyes (but didn't look like a Michigan rock bass) and a stripe down the upper part of its back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140408_120538.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	7721

From there we went to Natural Bridge and the next day hit Mill Pond Lake. This was a better day with two very nice bass, 2.5 and 4 lbs, and I got to catch one of them.

Name:	20140409_105326.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	7723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140409_100015.jpg 
Views:	753 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	7724

Next day we drove to the east end of Kentucky to Fish Pond Lake near Jenkins. In Jenkins we saw a circus but that was the highlight because the fish were just not active. The water was just not warm enough yet.

Finally we drove northward again and stayed overnite at Jenny Wiley and fished a little pond from the shore from near the boat launch. My son caught a few bluegill which were a fine complement to our all bacon man breakfast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	325 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	7722  

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Great Report

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The trip is over and we had a fun time although the fishing was a bit slower then we had hoped for. I think with the exception of one lake we visited the temperatures were just not there yet.

The first lake we hit was Owsly Fork. A few nibbles and my son caught one bass of a type which I am not familiar. It had some coloring like a largemouth, and a smallmout mouth, and red eyes (but didn't look like a Michigan rock bass) and a stripe down the upper part of its back.

Name:	20140408_120538.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	7721

From there we went to Natural Bridge and the next day hit Mill Pond Lake. This was a better day with two very nice bass, 2.5 and 4 lbs, and I got to catch one of them.

Name:	20140409_105326.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	7723Click image for larger version. 

Views:	753 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	7724

Next day we drove to the east end of Kentucky to Fish Pond Lake near Jenkins. In Jenkins we saw a circus but that was the highlight because the fish were just not active. The water was just not warm enough yet.

Finally we drove northward again and stayed overnite at Jenny Wiley and fished a little pond from the shore from near the boat launch. My son caught a few bluegill which were a fine complement to our all bacon man breakfast.

What a great report, look what a smile he has going. I think your boy will get the fever like all of us on here. I would rather see story's/reports like this more than the 20+ Lb tour reports or guys complaining. What you did with your son will ensure this country has a chance. If everybody would take their kids out to experience the thrill of fishing the problems will slowly go away. My dad did it with me and I now gave up fishing tour's to take him when I get a chance. Maybe your boy will pay you back in 30-40 years.
    thanks for the smile
    crank

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankinstein View Post
    What a great report, look what a smile he has going. I think your boy will get the fever like all of us on here. I would rather see story's/reports like this more than the 20+ Lb tour reports or guys complaining. What you did with your son will ensure this country has a chance. If everybody would take their kids out to experience the thrill of fishing the problems will slowly go away. My dad did it with me and I now gave up fishing tour's to take him when I get a chance. Maybe your boy will pay you back in 30-40 years.
    thanks for the smile
    crank
    My Dad and I literally hated eachother for about ten years. But we could always go fishing and get along great. When I was a baby he changed my diapers on a bass boat, and when the time comes, I guess I'll change his on a boat too! (yuk, but dangit, I will.)