Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally ordered new kayak

Well after a year of considering it I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a kayak. I went with the a Wilderness Systems Ride 115X and went with the pre rigged Advance Angler version so it has some extra fishing attachments included.

A few things that finally swayed me to this model.

1) I was able to order it from LL Bean so I am able to have their 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee. You just can't beat their service.

2) I didn't want something too large and liked the size of 11 1/2 feet

3) Fairly wide (33") so it will be stable enough to stand up in.

4) Even at that size it is still able to hold $500 pounds

5) Their raised Phase 3 Air Pro seat is able to be adjusted and more comfortable than most.

6) The removable center console looks to be the easiest and most convenient sonar/fish finder ready design available on the market.

7) While I wanted something that had good reviews and was a good quality kayak I didn't want to put a fortune into it. I was able to take advantage of a 10% off e-mail LL Bean had sent me to lower the price from $1229 to $1106 which was in my budget.

Now I only hope that with my back troubles I will be able to occasionally handle fishing in it.

Here are two videos that give a nice overview of the 115X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHNG...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AufzY...yer_detailpage
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The best advice I can give is to never buy a kayak until you've been in it on the water. it's too much of an investment to get one that you won't like once you get it on the water.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been able to sit on some in stores but unfortunately I really don't have a good opportunity to easily try many out by actually fishing with them. That is one big reason I like dealing with LL Bean, if it turns out at some point I am not happy with it I can return it without hassle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. That's great information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I have been able to sit on some in stores but unfortunately I really don't have a good opportunity to easily try many out by actually fishing with them. That is one big reason I like dealing with LL Bean, if it turns out at some point I am not happy with it I can return it without hassle.
    I have to admit, thats a really good deal if they will take a used Kayak back if you're unhappy with it. Nice! give us a report when you get it out. BTW If you are ever interested in a kayak fishing tournament series check out the Bluegrass Yakmasters. www.yakmasters.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that same kayak. You'll love it. It's a beast at about 80 lbs but other than that its already fully tricked out for you. I got mine for about the same price. You could literally get two or three days worth of gear into that thing if you wanted to do an overnighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I have to admit, thats a really good deal if they will take a used Kayak back if you're unhappy with it. Nice! give us a report when you get it out. BTW If you are ever interested in a kayak fishing tournament series check out the Bluegrass Yakmasters. www.yakmasters.com
    Yeah LL Bean is fantastic with their customer service, basically if at any time you are not 100% satisfied with something that you had purchased from them they will take it back without hassle.

Thanks for the link, I don't know if I will get to that level with it so as to enter a tournament but I will keep it mind for the future.
    Likes CarolKnowles liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psprowler View Post
    I have that same kayak. You'll love it. It's a beast at about 80 lbs but other than that its already fully tricked out for you. I got mine for about the same price. You could literally get two or three days worth of gear into that thing if you wanted to do an overnighter.
    Thanks for the feedback it is nice to read. I am really excited about getting it. Looking forward to being a little more active and getting some exercise while fishing. It will be nice to be able to sometimes just go closer to home for shorter periods of time if I feel like fishing the last moment instead of always having to hook up and then drive somewhere further and launch the boat. Also occasionally hitting some smaller streams will be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Use first before buying

I agree that is idea but I did not do that and it fortunately turned out fine. I would not recommend buying a kayak until you have gone kayaking and/or canoeing a few times. But if you have and you know you want a kayak; I think if you research it properly you can be okay without a test drive.

If you have not kayaked and are interested; you should go to Canoe Kentucky in Frankfort; you can test drive kayaks there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    I agree that is idea but I did not do that and it fortunately turned out fine. I would not recommend buying a kayak until you have gone kayaking and/or canoeing a few times. But if you have and you know you want a kayak; I think if you research it properly you can be okay without a test drive.

If you have not kayaked and are interested; you should go to Canoe Kentucky in Frankfort; you can test drive kayaks there.
    I don't know about you guys but to me kayak buying is a lot like buying a mattress. Yeah, you can try it out but you won't really know if it's "right" until a few 8 hour "trips" are had on top of it.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to update:

I finally had a chance to get the kayak on the water to try is out and I loved it! I have a lot of back trouble and wasn't sure I could even sit in the seat without too much pain but the seat was amazingly comfortable. While I doubt I can spend all day on it since I have trouble spending all day doing anything without too much pain I was able to easily spend a couple hours testing it out so I know I can at least go for a few hours getting some exercise while having fun doing something I love.

This Kayak is really sweet and really everything I could have wanted. I caught a couple small large mouth and a nice sized bluegill and since I was using my ultralight it was a blast. Reminded me of fishing out of a canoe when I was a boy.

Even better LL Bean ended up running a sale this week for an additional 20% off (ends today I think if anyone wants to take advantage) so I called them and they just credited my charge card back the difference!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    The best advice I can give is to never buy a kayak until you've been in it on the water. it's too much of an investment to get one that you won't like once you get it on the water.
    Whats the best way to go about testing them out?