Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Length of fishing rods in a kayak

I read somewhere a recommendation that you should use a longer rod while fishing in a kayak because it is easier fishing when you have a rod that reaches past the front of your kayak. How many of you kayak fisherman follow that rule? I have my new kayak on order and I am just doing some planning on what gear I will be using. Personally I prefer using a shorter rod, and I think using lighter tackle in the kayak will be more fun and appeals to me. Does using shorter rods end up being an issue/problem for any of you if the fish is moving from one side of the boat to the other?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't noticed that rod length is that important in a kayak. Yes, there may be times that you want to land a fish on one side of the boat. In that case, being able to reach your rod around the yak can be of help. I would fish from the yak for a while and determine what is going to be best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I just figured I ask to see if it was something many people did and noticed a difference because of it. I'll just stick with my original plan with lighter smaller tackle to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've kayak fished for 10 years. I'd go shorter, not longer. Difficult to clear tangles with a longer rod in a kayak. 6-6.5 foot rod is plenty. If your kayak has a carrying handle on the front, there is where your lure will land occaisionally. Consider fixing that anyway you can to keep a treble hook from snagging it. Have fun with your Kayak. I take mine to Panama City and fish the bays. Awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by huntingteacher View Post
    I've kayak fished for 10 years. I'd go shorter, not longer. Difficult to clear tangles with a longer rod in a kayak. 6-6.5 foot rod is plenty. If your kayak has a carrying handle on the front, there is where your lure will land occaisionally. Consider fixing that anyway you can to keep a treble hook from snagging it. Have fun with your Kayak. I take mine to Panama City and fish the bays. Awesome!!
    Thanks for the advice, and the warning about the treble hooks finding the handle.

Fishing in the ocean does sound like it would be fun but I doubt I will ever use it anywhere but local waters.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started kayak fishing I thought shorter rods were the better choice but after a few years I have completely changed my opinion. The main reason I like longer rods in the kayak is because they have so much better hook setting power which really comes in handy when sitting in a kayak. They do also help when fighting a fish from one side of the yak to the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstrong View Post
    When I first started kayak fishing I thought shorter rods were the better choice but after a few years I have completely changed my opinion. The main reason I like longer rods in the kayak is because they have so much better hook setting power which really comes in handy when sitting in a kayak. They do also help when fighting a fish from one side of the yak to the other.
    Thanks for your input, that is along the same lines with what I had read that made me ask about it. How long of a rod do you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use anywhere from 7' to 7'9" rods in the kayak. Lately I have really been liking the 7'3" and 7'4" Dobyns Rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstrong View Post
    I use anywhere from 7' to 7'9" rods in the kayak. Lately I have really been liking the 7'3" and 7'4" Dobyns Rods.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Rod Lengthe

I use mostly 7' rods and they work fine with the kayak. I even have a 7'11" rod that works fine. The problem I find in the kayak is if you want to do a jerkbait presentation or walk the dog; unless you can stand up; you need a shorter rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    I use mostly 7' rods and they work fine with the kayak. I even have a 7'11" rod that works fine. The problem I find in the kayak is if you want to do a jerkbait presentation or walk the dog; unless you can stand up; you need a shorter rod.
    Thanks