Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

marina restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by 365allout View Post
    I can't say in that situation but with most Corps Lakes many of the marina areas are leased for commercial purpose areas and the lease holder has certain rights to reduce or prevent interference in his venture within that area. Few seem to know or choose to ignore it and the signs but fishing is not allowed in most marina areas. However that is between the marina operator, Fish and Wildlife Service, lease grantor and the angler, no boater has the right to be harassing another angler as in the video, I would rape him in court. A note to tournament anglers is that fishing in most marina leased areas is a violation of posted restriction, which by most tournament rules is automatic disqualification.
    This is the case when the marina owner leases the land from the COE. In the case of the video the land is owned by the marina.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the marina has dealt with the problem, this was posted on the youtube comments.

Louisville Yacht Club
    4 hours ago
    We do not condone the actions of this resident and he has been dealt with. His actions were his alone and not respresentative of the membership of LYC. We are aware of the public waterway statute and his violations of it and have made it quite clear to him that this action will not be tolerated. We have also had a very good suggestion by one of your fellow anglers regarding rewording the sign at the mouth of the marina. We are reviewing this and will make appropriate changes. We did not remove the message on FB and quite frankly we are glad that this was brought to our attention via FB so that a dialog could occur and hope that we can all get back to enjoying the water and her bounties, now if we could just get some of the fishermen to share some of those Bass!
    We apologize to the fishermen involved in this video and look forward to something like this NOT occurring again!
    Nice to see everyone involved keep their heads and handle it responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like
    They totally cleaned up the thread on their facebook page.........it is completely gone.

Personally, I don't think this should be accepted, and ALL fellow fishermen and women her should take a stand, crowd fund a lawyer, and GET this stupidity settled once and for all

Property rights along the river are interfering with fair use rights all over Kentucky and Indiana. Mostly because it is an "old boys club", and the politicians own all local enforcement.

I had a dumbass land owner on the Elkhorn come out with a shotgun, basically DARING me to step foot on the riverbed. That happened nearly 10 years ago........which is why I stopped fishing there.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    Can someone explain the laws/rights with fishing in the marinas on the Ohio River. I see signs that fishing is not allowed. I also do not see how they can prevent recreation fishing from occurring since it is connected and accessed via public waters. I do not want to get a ticket but would love to fish these waters. I purposely do not enter any tournaments on the Ohio because I know that others fish the Marinas but I do not know where the laws stand. Any insight into this situation is greatly appreciated.
    Here is some more info on it.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...river-marina-s

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...ing-regulation

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...56-Federal-Law

Post Thanks / Like
    What a goofball, no class at all, if that happened to me I would maybe call the police or leave, some people are just plain crazy!!

Post Thanks / Like

My response may not have been so responsible

I'm afraid I might not have handled that so well. I'd of regretted it later, but I might have asked that gentleman to dock the boat and gone over to discuss his actions.

Post Thanks / Like
    These forums did not clear up my confusion. What I gleaned from them was that on some corp lakes the marina owners can charge you with trespassing if you fish the Marinas. However, I was wondering about the marina's on the Ohio River. I know a lot of fisherman fish these marinas, and they fish them during tournaments, even though they have, "No Fishing Signs." Is it actually illegal to fish in the Marina's with "No Fishing Signs." or is it legal? Or is it only illegal to fish the slips, but the rock structure in the Marina is ok to fish? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Can someone shed some light on the public waterway statute?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    These forums did not clear up my confusion. What I gleaned from them was that on some corp lakes the marina owners can charge you with trespassing if you fish the Marinas. However, I was wondering about the marina's on the Ohio River. I know a lot of fisherman fish these marinas, and they fish them during tournaments, even though they have, "No Fishing Signs." Is it actually illegal to fish in the Marina's with "No Fishing Signs." or is it legal? Or is it only illegal to fish the slips, but the rock structure in the Marina is ok to fish? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I can tell you what was told by the USCGS and the KDFWR officer during the rules meeting in 2007 prior to the BFL All-American on the river. Now keep in mind some of this could have changed, but if it has I have not heard about it. They said the only area off limits in Harrods Creek was the branch of Captains Quarters. Evidently someone had taken them to court saying it was a public, navigable creek, but since CQ actually dug that area out themselves, it was considered private. At that time, all other areas were legal. Keep in mind, this was several years ago and some things may have changed.

There is a small marina back on the left in Harrods Creek where the leader of the tournament had a run in with the guy from the Marina. It was all captured on video camera. The marina employee got bent out of shape after he tried to run the leader out of a place he was legally allowed to be. He decided to start taking pictures on his phone of the leaders boat, and the two media boats. Myself and Jim Dicken were in the second media boat and both started taking pictures of him. You never seen a more frustrated guy than the fool on the marina dock. It was classic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I can tell you what was told by the USCGS and the KDFWR officer during the rules meeting in 2007 prior to the BFL All-American on the river. Now keep in mind some of this could have changed, but if it has I have not heard about it. They said the only area off limits in Harrods Creek was the branch of Captains Quarters. Evidently someone had taken them to court saying it was a public, navigable creek, but since CQ actually dug that area out themselves, it was considered private. At that time, all other areas were legal. Keep in mind, this was several years ago and some things may have changed.

There is a small marina back on the left in Harrods Creek where the leader of the tournament had a run in with the guy from the Marina. It was all captured on video camera. The marina employee got bent out of shape after he tried to run the leader out of a place he was legally allowed to be. He decided to start taking pictures on his phone of the leaders boat, and the two media boats. Myself and Jim Dicken were in the second media boat and both started taking pictures of him. You never seen a more frustrated guy than the fool on the marina dock. It was classic.
    Thanks Tim. For clarification "the branch of Captains Quarters" is this the marina just past Captain Quarters. Or are you referring to another section?

Thanks for responding

Post Thanks / Like
    well I would had lost it! on him myself! I don't handle bs for to long! he needed someone to hand him his @ss! lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post

I have fished tournaments on the Ohio River for over 20 years now. I try to be courteous to everybody on the river and in Marinas. I go by what Tim_T posted on here when I'm around anywhere questionable. Anywhere that has a navigable creek running through it is open to the public. The only one I know of that isn't that way in Harrod's Creek is CQ. Most tournaments call that off limits. There's a marina upriver in Prospect that was dugout and it also qualifies as being private.I don't fish there either. I try to stay away from the boats most of the time. If I do cast near boats, I try to do so vdery carefully as not to hit the boats or get tangled up in their ropes.
    Obviously the guy in the video was an idiot and hopefully they handled him appropriately like they said.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Sorry. I should've made it clear that your point regarding not clearing up any confusion was exactly my point.

It is a complicated legal issue and there are different situations with different marinas on different waterways.