Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Northern Licking River Shore Fishing

Hello everyone. I am hoping to find some shore fishing access so I can take my kids this weekend to try and hit the white bass run. I am in NKY by the Ohio but am okay with a 30-45 minute drive to find some good fishing. Any suggestions where we could go would be greatly appreciated. Also, figure to use small jerk baits, rooster tails and curly tails any other suggestions on baits would be greatly appreciated as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water is waaaaaaay up, unfishable and not safe for bank fisherman with kids. I live on the Licking in Campbell Co. Even the creeks are too high and muddy.
    Best to stay home for about a week or so.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bassky. Thanks for the update. I have a friend who lives over that way and said it is dropping quickly. Do you think it may be fishable by Sunday? Was wondering about the park in the Ryland Heights area with the boat ramp. Are you aware if there is any good shore access along there?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hydorologic graphs so that the Ohio will be down to fishable level by Sunday so I would assume the Licking will be to. As far as fishing spots. There are a few very guarded honey holes on the licking but as far as publically known places, sometimes the spillway in Falmouth can be alright. That place can get very crowded and can be dangerous when the water is high. The only other place I know is the pull off in Butler by Hill top on the big 90 degree turn. Again hit or miss but it would be safer if the water is still up a little and doesn't get as crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Aquaman. I looked at the area on google maps and I assume you are talking about right there on Rt. 177? Looks like a pretty good spot. I will definitely check it out. The water was still up a bit in Ryland Heights and kind of hard to fish for the kids so we did not stay much more than an hour. Couple snags and no fish. Few others there with same result. I will surely check this area out in a few weeks. I assume there are a bunch of carp in the river. My son has an itch to get into some carp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the one. I have pulled some pretty decent sized perch out of there but that about it. I have tried night fishing for cats right above and below the ripple with little to no luck. Still good bank opportunity for rock bass, large mouth, small mouth, perch and for gods sakes snakes if your into that kind of thing!! They are everywhere down there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of drum in downtown Butler area by the bridge. Upstream good bass, crappie and occasional sauger to mouth of Grassy Creek, DeMossville area.