Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake Spring Muskie

Hey all, I'm big into muskie fishing, usually go to Canada twice every summer, recently moved down to Owensboro KY. I have been going to Lake Kincaid in Southern IL and have gottem some muskie action there.

I'm looking to head to Green river lake this weekend for some spring muskie. I hear from local guys that they are usually found this time of year in the shallows. I'm wondering if anyone can share good spots for muskie in that lake. I'm also wondering where would be a good spot to launch to get to those spots. I fished this lake last summer and we put in at Holmes Bend marina and fished south of that. Didnt have any luck, but it was really hot out.

I was thinking about heading a little higher north up near the dam, i think that is launch #1? Any good shallow bays around there or underwater rock/cliff features?

Lastly, i see there is a boat ramp just downstream of the dam tailwaters. Would it be worth putting the boat in there for a day or two?

I really hope all this rain we're getting doesnt make the water real murky, but weather is looking warm for springtime and i'm hoping to get some hits. Any information helps.

Thanks,
    Neal.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a map, the water is mud from the cut through on goat island back towards pikes ridge/robinson creek. Its pretty stained from butler creek to holmes bend and mud from there to the river. Only clearish water is around the lone valley/ramp 1 area. If it clears you should be able to head in any creek and find some action. We catch a lot of musky bass fishing and theyre liable to hit a spinnerbait on a bluff wall or flipping a jig in the back of a creek in 2ft of water. Just cover water and youll run into em. The state dock is a very popular place for musky guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to pick one spot to hook a musky I'd pick Little Wilson Creek. I've had a lot of unintentional musky hookups there and like FIL mentioned most of them has been on spinnerbaits while bass fishing.

I personally would not try fishing below the dam from a boat for a while. The lake is above summer pool now, that plus the rain we've been having lately means who knows what the COE will do when it comes to opening and closing the gates. Two gentleman lost their lives there last fall while hunting from a boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    10-4 on staying out from below the dam. I work on the Ohio river and i know how high up it is from the rain, i assume the tailwaters would be as crazy as the river is right now!

I dont have a map of the lake, but i do look on google maps. Is the cut through goat island pretty much to the northeast across the lake from the state park boat ramp near Tim Horton camp?

In that case, i'm guessing the clear water lone valley/ramp 1 area is sort of the middle of the lake, just south of the dam?

Thanks for all your help guys

Post Thanks / Like
    How accurate is my map? Is boat ramp #1 the one i listed? I should be good then staying at state park campground i'll always launch and head south and fish between there and butler creek.

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green River Lake Map.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	7682  

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct on your marking of ramp 1. You can pick up a map at wal mart that will give you a good idea of bottom contour. Im hearing the whole lake is muddy now an ill be out tomm afternoon and will let ya know for sure. Regardless of water color, the musky will eat

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the whole lake is one big mud hole now. Assuming we don't get more rain very soon I would think the upper inflow areas of Robinson Creek and Green River would be clearer than the lower lake areas for the next week of so.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Lone Valley/Ramp 1 areas of the lake arent muddy and very fishable. I caught 2 stinkin musky tonight bass fishing. One was a small keeper and the other was a small fish. Both in the very back of a pocket in less than 5ft

onemorecast56 Guest
    If your looking for a closer Musky place then Canada come try Hayward Wi. I moved from Ky to Wi and live on a class A smallmouth lake and have 10 plus class A Musky lakes with in 10 Miles. I like fishing these natural lake better the rivers and lakes down there..Come up and I will put you on some nice fish with alot of numbers..

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to Green today and also got onto some musky early this morning while bass fishing. One was on a 3xd and the other was on a shad rap. Fun times to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't ran into any Muskie here yet. I got a nice sized largemouth last night right before dusk. About 6lbs.
    Otherwise we got a couple hybrid bass and somehow a silver carp???

anyways going to be hitting it hard tomorrow for Muskie. I think I'm gona try the spot by the marina first thing in the am.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	7689  

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using mainly spinner baits and a Zara spook when it's calm.

Girlfriend is using some small jigs with twister tails. She's catching all the small ones for us.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	7690