Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Using Swiivels for Crankbaits and Jerkbaits?

I use to not do this but a buddy of mine using them for their convenience in changing lures. He said he does not see that it affects his fishing. Like some opinions please.

Post Thanks / Like
    APB on this site uses snaps kind of the same thing but heavier duty. He loves them and catches plenty of fish, I myself just can't get past the fact that swivels cost me several large fish years ago and I have not used them since. Also I fish alot of highland very clear water res. and I don't like the added look.

I'm weird though and look for any and all little advantage I can find.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll use clips for cranks & loop knots for jerkbaits ... I don't use "swivels" for anything but in-line spinners !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like using them but I have used them and I don't think it hampered my fishing. I see the advantage of a quick changeout of lures and no twist on the line but I think since I grew up not using them I just don't think about that option anymore.
    That being said when I use speed traps they come with the quick clip on them it's not a swivel but it is extra hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use them at all. Yes it makes changing baits a lot faster but I'm usually banging a crankbait off of something and usually it's a rocky bottom, which causes a lot of abrasion to my line. I have to re-tie pretty often, so there is really no advantage for me to use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pointer View Post
    I don't use them at all. Yes it makes changing baits a lot faster but I'm usually banging a crankbait off of something and usually it's a rocky bottom, which causes a lot of abrasion to my line. I have to re-tie pretty often, so there is really no advantage for me to use them.
    I'm just the opposite but I crank with braid. I can tie a palomar knot around a clip much easier and faster that I can tie it around a big bait like a 6xd with the trebles in the way. I don't use swivels just clips. Also if a fish can see a clip on the front of a rattletrap burned with a 7:1 reel, it has some killer eyesight

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish them only when I know I will be changing a lot and I only have one rod with me. Never during anyhting competitive or when I have several rigs on different rods

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use swivels but I use duo-snaps for quick change-outs. I have had several people share their opinion through the years on using these snaps saying generally that I will lose big fish but I have been doing this for 20+ years and have never lost a fish due to a snap failure. The advantage it gives me is as you work an area of lake some banks are a little deeper, some a little shallower. As you move into different water you can quickly switch to a shallower or deeper running lure not to mention switching styles and colors to tune into what they want. When I am in crank mode it is not unusual for me to have 12 to 15 lures laying on the deck next to me ready to switch out.

One caution on suspending jerk baits - many are specifically weighted and if you add too heavy of a snap or swivel it will affect the suspend causing them to nose down. I use mostly pointers and the smallest duos work well on anything from the 65 size up but I also use some micro suspending jerks like the pointer 48dds and the snaps are too much weight so those get directly tied...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I'll use clips for cranks & loop knots for jerkbaits ... I don't use "swivels" for anything but in-line spinners !!

... pappy
    This and what APB does. I don't want any weight on the front of a jerkbait. double clips work great for crank baits. No swivels on a crank. I might use a swivel with a leader on a roostertail type bait but not the swivel clip type. Then again, I might just tie the roostertail straight on and deal with line twist as I go.

The only thing I use the snap swivels for are my umbrella rigs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use snaps (no swivel) on most cranks, jerkbaits, and topwater baits. Don't use them much on jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, or soft plastics. Gives the plug more freedom of movement and easier to change lures. I'll also check the knot a number of times during each trip to make sure the knot and the line are still in good shape. Any nics in the line and I'll retie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use snaps. I used to use a snap swivel but too many problems with them coming apart.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a lot of bass using swivels on my cranks

Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    I use to not do this but a buddy of mine using them for their convenience in changing lures. He said he does not see that it affects his fishing. Like some opinions please.
    I see no problem with this. As long as you can tune the crank bait to run straight and dive deep it's ok.

I've been using snap swivels on my crank baits since the late 1950's and still use them today. I'm still catching bass and crappie with these things.