Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Reels

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning Reels

I'm a Shimano guy and use FireLine on my Stradic spinning reels. I was thinking about buying a new spinning reel with a large spool and spool it with mono and haven't spent a ton of time researching it. Is there a manufacture that has a bigger spool than others just to keep line memory down with mono. Just wanting to get some opinions from anyone who uses mono with the larger spools. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a Revo, but don't like it at all. Spool keeps coming apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Abu Garcia Cardinal seris 302, very well built reel and smooth. I like that whole line.

As far as line, Ive used fireline but only up north where the water is stained. Down here I use a line called Tripple Fish Camo line, lb for lb its just as tough as fireline, actually we've switched over from Fireline to Tripple Fish cause its a lil cheaper and feel conident fighting big fish on it like fireline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntforfish View Post
    I use Abu Garcia Cardinal seris 302, very well built reel and smooth. I like that whole line.

As far as line, Ive used fireline but only up north where the water is stained. Down here I use a line called Tripple Fish Camo line, lb for lb its just as tough as fireline, actually we've switched over from Fireline to Tripple Fish cause its a lil cheaper and feel conident fighting big fish on it like fireline.
    All I use to fish with is spinning reels. I use 100% mono line. Always been a triline fan. Now using triline armor coated. If you haven't tried it you need too, its great. I do have a couple Abu cardinal reels but I am phasing them out as they just don't hold up over time. I am using pflueger presidents. They are great. Very well built and hold what I believe to be to much line. Remember too that how you spool your line makes a world of difference. Good luck. I think you will be very happy with the pflueger.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a cardinal as well. Love it. I have the smaller one but my buddy got the bigger one and loves it as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I have three Penn SSV's of different sizes that we use for surf fishing and blue water float lining. They're a little on the heavy side but they handle large volumes of mono very well and they're built like a battleship. I have 300 yards of 20# mono on one and it's mounted on a 12' mh surf rod. Last summer at the beach I got spooled in about 2 minutes by what I suspect was a very large shark. I inspected the drag washers afterwards and they still looked like brand new. If you have the guns to do it the Penn's would be perfect for A-rigging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the replies. I had a reel in mind and I finally remembered what it was called (US Reel) but did some research and found a lot of bad reviews. I was hoping someone on here may have owned one but like I said I couldn't remember the name when I first posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    after using almost all the lines on the market, I believe Berkley nanofil is the best spinning line I've ever used. I,m also a shimano freak! but I have a bass pro shop extreme I do like. it has a bigger diameter spool and I've had no problems with it looping off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I'm a Shimano guy and use FireLine on my Stradic spinning reels. I was thinking about buying a new spinning reel with a large spool and spool it with mono and haven't spent a ton of time researching it. Is there a manufacture that has a bigger spool than others just to keep line memory down with mono. Just wanting to get some opinions from anyone who uses mono with the larger spools. Thanks.
    US Reel has a huge spool

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BGRAY View Post
    after using almost all the lines on the market, I believe Berkley nanofil is the best spinning line I've ever used. I,m also a shimano freak! but I have a bass pro shop extreme I do like. it has a bigger diameter spool and I've had no problems with it looping off.
    I replaced all my shimano reels with BPS reels.........I love them.

Wide spool and fantastic, fantastic performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I replaced all my shimano reels with BPS reels.........I love them.

Wide spool and fantastic, fantastic performance.
    Ok, since you brought up BPS spinning reels I'd like to pick your brain little. I look at the BPS Pro Qualifier PQ40 every time I'm at BPS. It seems like a good reel but I'm nervous about buying it because of the brand. Do you know anything about that reel and if so would you buy it yourself? Thanks, SW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Ok, since you brought up BPS spinning reels I'd like to pick your brain little. I look at the BPS Pro Qualifier PQ40 every time I'm at BPS. It seems like a good reel but I'm nervous about buying it because of the brand. Do you know anything about that reel and if so would you buy it yourself? Thanks, SW
    I use the Johnny Morris version of that, but i like the 20 size. I've had some issues with the metal plated plastic wearing out , but besides that NOTHING else.

They work great and are very easy to break down and relube when needed.

Later,

Geo