Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any help appreciated with Ranger 185vs motor issue

I have a Ranger 185vs that been garage kept through the winter. Took the boat to the ramp and I was able to trim up, but when I tried to start, the ignition would not let the boat turn over. The electronics and trolling motor worked so I tried changing from the starting battery and using one trolling motor battery then the other. Even though I could initially trim the motor now it wouldn't do anything. On the advice of a friend, I pulled it out of the water and tried jumping it. Again, no luck. I've since charged the batteries and the trim still isn't working. I'm looking for ideas on what to try next. Any and all replies appreciated but I'm a newbie when it comes to troubleshooting so please explain in detail. Boat was fine and worked perfectly last season. Jfamily

Post Thanks / Like

Additional Information about the motor

Motor on my boat is a yamaha 150/ year 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to be sarcastic but did you make sure them I'll switch was engaged and the boat not in gear. Just easy "doh" items to ensure. One other place to check may be a blown fuse. My motor had one on the engine block that that wouldn't allow it to start and it took me a while to find that one. Check your wiring for loose/corroded connections. These would be some general places to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you're talking about with the switch. Would you elaborate. As for the boat in neutral, I did check that but I'll check it again. Jfamily

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jfamily,

A couple things. Are your batteries new? even though they show to charge they could have dead cells and not enough umph. to kick the big motor over, They may have enough to trim it down or up and then would be spent.
    If you tried switching to a battery that is absolutely positively good and you have the same issue, I would check for corrosion around the wires on the battery and the block.
    so
    1st things first/ Verify you have 2 good batteries (they can go bad sitting over the winter) Take them to Advance or another parts store and they can check them for dead cells. Charge them all the way up before you go.
    2nd check for Dirty cable connectors at the batter and where the positive cable hooks to the starter and the negative hooks to the block of the engine.
    3rd If these two things do not correct your issue, then check for blown fuses at or around you engine. These may be at or around the Key Cylinder or at the engine. You could also have an inline Relay or Fuse box that needs to be reset by pushing the reset button (kinda like a ground fault outlet in your house's bathroom or kitchen)
    4th If none Detected, or one thing starts working and not the other, check for Solenoids that could be bad as part of the Tilt/Trim. Depending on the engine, these could be on the engine ot on the Trim Pump itself. A quick google search should tell you.
    I hope this helps... Good Fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you can't trim (now) and can't get the motor to turn over, plus the electronics work and you've tried several batteries, I would start with wiring. Maybe corrosion in a wire or at a connector. Electronics probably runs off a different wire run than the motor. Take the cables off the battery and bend them back and forth as far back as you can reach. If you have an Ohm meter and know how to use it, Ohm the cable run for the motor.

If you can't find an issue with the wires, check out your control box. It's possible you have a wiring\corrosion issue in there. It would probably be a supply issue as you are having both trim and starting issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    It definitely isn't a battery problem...batteries are charged and electronics and horn worked perfectly off the starting battery. I tired the trim on the motor, on the gear box and a third on the steering wheel and got nothing. Took the cowling off and looked around but wasn't sure where to start. Think it might be a wire of fuse issue. I haven't used an ohm meter much but I do know that you can check for continunity but not sure how to do this. Again, any help would be appreciated. I took pictures of the engine with the cowling off if that will help as well on the side where the trim is at. Jfamily

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know why I didn't bring this up before, but I would go on bassboatcentral.com
    If you are not a member, you need to be. Just like this board they have a lot of people on there from across the country. Many of them are Master Techs and they have a specific page specifically for mechanical issues on certain motors etc. Those guys on there can probably isolate it and tell you how to fix it in about 2 minutes. (These guys are good) !!
    Good Luck