Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

the freeze of april 15

Its gonna drop 40 degrees tonight im gonna fish on thursday and this weekend so im wondering do you all think this is gonna lock the fish up for a few days or a week?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lock jawed till friday. Thats my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    Lock jawed till friday. Thats my opinion.
    All fish or just bass i think the crappie and bluegills may react differently

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunterchris View Post
    Its gonna drop 40 degrees tonight im gonna fish on thursday and this weekend so im wondering do you all think this is gonna lock the fish up for a few days or a week?
    I think if I was catching fish at a certain depth already and was going after this front I would still try and catch them at that depth and if they don't bite I would try a little deeper.
    There have been times tournament fishing that a cold front moves through and you have no choice but to fish and people still caught them. So I guess I'm saying screw the weather and go fishing anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I think if I was catching fish at a certain depth already and was going after this front I would still try and catch them at that depth and if they don't bite I would try a little deeper.
    There have been times tournament fishing that a cold front moves through and you have no choice but to fish and people still caught them. So I guess I'm saying screw the weather and go fishing anyway.
    The crappie were being ninjas befor the cold front anyways and so were the bass which is odd ive caught bass and crappie no bass had eggs but crappie did they havent even begun spawning in lakes and creeks i fish in georgetown and paris so im jw shouldnt it be easier to locate the fish now that front has pushed in stacking them together

Post Thanks / Like
    Got down to 24 degrees in Alexandria this morning. Tied a low record for this area. BRRRRRRRRRR!
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Fish deeper

For Crappie Just move out further to the next drop off and you will find them out there suspended right off the drop off.

When the water cools down they just swim out into deeper water and wait for the water to warm back up. When the conditions are right the male crappie will start the next and stay and guard it once the eggs are laid. The females wait until the water conditions are right for the eggs and they lay their eggs in the nests that the males are making.

As for the Bass they will also move out and suspend or roam around. But the Bass are not ready to spawn now. The Bass and other members of the Sunfish family spawn in May or June in these latitudes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I really do like the way this man thinks, lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the information it is a huge help

Post Thanks / Like
    We were out after the front yesterday bass fishing....We had around 20lbs on the best 5. Water temps had dropped about 5 degrees....shad had backed off into deeper water as expected and the bass followed as expected...they will still eat, just slow down your presentation...after the water warmed back up a few degrees by afternoon the shad moved back into shallower water and the bass as expected followed. Spawns are predicated on water temperatures, not calendars. If the extended weather forecast is right, I expect to start seeing spawning bass here on Ky/Barkley getting started next week with the warming water. Crappie are already spawning.