Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Grandson Fishing Near Louisville

I plan to take my 8 year old grandson fishing somewhere near Louisville on May1. I will be going in my WarEagle 18. He is very patient and sticks with me. I am considering Jericho Lake, but not sure if we can catch some bluegill or crappie there. Is that a good place to take a youngster? Also hear about a creek off the Ohio River that goes up by Prospect. What about that? Info on any other places that will be good for this trip will be appreciated. Also, would like info on successful baits, techniques, etc. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    McNeely Lake is on the south end of Louisville and may fit the bill. It apparently has good panfishing according to the Ky dnr page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guist Creek Lake is a really good lake for bluegills. It's known for bass, but I've had many days catching 50+ bluegills. Look for any stick-ups and you will find them. I've had much more luck there than McNeely or Jericho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    Guist Creek Lake is a really good lake for bluegills. It's known for bass, but I've had many days catching 50+ bluegills. Look for any stick-ups and you will find them. I've had much more luck there than McNeely or Jericho.
    Thank you so much. I'll be leaving from Jtown. Exactly where is Guist Creek Lake and what is the best route. Also, have you used worms, crickets, meal worms or crappie bits to catch your bluegill? thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    I-64 east to exit 35 (I think, but it has a brown attractions interstate sign) north towards Shelbyville. Right on hwy 60, left at the high school then right at the end of that road and right a mile or two toward the marina. Confused? I think the signs are pretty good. From Jtown, it's probably half an hour.

My preference always is for crickets, but they are hard to find around Louisville. Since you are coming from Jtown, I'd recommend stopping by Smyrna bait & tackle to pick some up. If you are pushed for time, they sell wax worms, meal worms, and night crawlers at the marina at Guist. After crickets, all of the others work really well. night crawlers are good and I usually could find enough for a fishing trip by digging in my yard, so that's what i used when I didn't have crickets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fisherman's Park is also a very good option. Lots of large ponds. Great place to take a kid in my opinion.