Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to here more about slip owners owning the water under them and the light in the sky. Guys you own whats floating on the water, not the water. I can't believe a true fisherman would make that claim. I guess the structure you sank is yours too. Because you work as a guide or whatever doesn't give you the right to tell someone not to fish your water or artificial light. If I am wrong please show me the document you live by and I will say I am sorry and move on. I read all this stuff and sometimes can't help but ask for clairification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Yep, we tried parallel and perpendicular to the banks. Surface and subsurface plugs and bucktails. Some alewifes in, but not real heavy. Only heard two striper blow ups all night. Plenty of walleye around to harass us, just none of our striped friends. Thought it somewhat weird to have that much bait on the bank, but hear only 2 stripers. Could also be that we just picked a bank that the stripers were not on at that time. Alewifes were also scattered from 3/4 the way back to the main lake, which may have also contributed.
    It is still a little early. Things didn't really get going until later in May last year if I remember right.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine spent two nights over the weekend out by the dam area and he said that he did not hear much at all. I was out Friday night from dusk until about an hour after dark and did not hear a thing. There were a lot of trailers in the lot at the ramp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    What Stripernut said! If we are talking slip lights, you need to consider leaving them alone. As he said, we pay a lot of money for that spot and even casting\catching fish in them can disrupt the bait for hours when things are tough. If we are talking overhead lights the marina's put out, then go for it.

Look at it this way... I'll concede that the water is public. But slip owners pay for the area all the way down to the water and you can't cast into that water without putting the bait in an area slip owners pay for.

I'll almost always purposely block my slip with my boat so the area can be uninterrupted.
    You put lights out to attract the bait fish from other parts of the area. Now, when we are looking for bait balls to find fish they are concentrated around your lights. And you say we can't fish around them? That's absurd! How can you honestly defend what you're saying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwigg View Post
    I just want to here more about slip owners owning the water under them and the light in the sky. Guys you own whats floating on the water, not the water. I can't believe a true fisherman would make that claim. I guess the structure you sank is yours too. Because you work as a guide or whatever doesn't give you the right to tell someone not to fish your water or artificial light. If I am wrong please show me the document you live by and I will say I am sorry and move on. I read all this stuff and sometimes can't help but ask for clairification.
    It doesn't matter about documents... It's called common decency and being courteous to others that have put the time and effort and money to ensure they have baitfish when they head out to fish. I see lights on a dock slip I try staying far away as possible just because I believe it's the right thing to do (respectful I guess)! Sure those guys don't own the water but put yourself in the slip owners position it would be frustrating as hell having people spook off your bait. You have to look at it in another perspective not just the paperwork. OK I'm done with that.... In other news I've made a few trips down this year. The lake is all new to me never even saw the water until last year. Went out with my cousin who lives down there and he agreed thing we're slow but heard a couple fish bust the top of the water but never had any strikes. I've been skunked quite a bit but I'm excited over just hearing the fish nearby. can't wait to hook up on one.

Post Thanks / Like

pesky Walleye?

In several replies members mention pesky Walleye, are you catching walleye or short striking your lures.I normally don't have problems catching stripers during the day tossing lures/ bait but I hve no luck catching walleye never had them back home.Any advise would be appreciated.
    Also If tossing a bait net was my only options to feed myself I would starve to death quickly. I have spent hours in the front lawn watching you tube videos ect.. I not completely stupid but Im missing something. I'm heading down to the lake in late May for 4-5 days for my annual fishing week and would (1) love to catch some Walleye ,and (2) learn to trough a net. any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Walleye do move up to the banks when the bait goes into spawn. They are more prevalent at night but I have caught them in the first hour of daylight. All the baits that work for stripers will work for walleye this time of year. I tend to find them on points or close to points where stripers could be on the points or on the bluffs. If you find them on one type area, look for more of those type area and you will probably find more of them.

It's hard to say what the issue is with casting the net without seeing it. There are 100s of ways to cast one and you might find that one way works for you better than another. But they all work for someone.. LOL The two mistakes I see the most are not getting the arms out and spinning too hard. Most methods do not take a lot of force, but almost all of them rely on the length of the arm to help generate the centrifugal force needed to open the net. The best advice is to start with a small net and work your way up. That means on the water too. There is nothing more funny than getting it down in the yard, getting next to a wad of bait on the water, and completely blowing it with a V8! LOL Seriously, it's better to get a small net open over the bait than to V8 a large one and get nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that you should try different methods of throwing. My dad and I can both throw the net decent enough but we use entirely different methods. He's tall (almost 6'5) and has long arms which help him with the way he throws. I'm 5'10 and can't do it using dad's method. Youtube is how we learned.

Duayne makes a good point. Just because you can throw it good in the yard does NOT mean you can do the same in a boat. A few years back when I made my initial attempt at catching bait and throwing the net from the boat, I hurled that thing and ended up netting my own person. That's right, I hit the water before the net did. I lost a good cell phone and a little pride that day

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kstonich View Post
    In several replies members mention pesky Walleye, are you catching walleye or short striking your lures...
    In my case, walleye hitting the plug, but not hooking up. A walleye hit is more of a sucking sound while a striper is a blow up. I have caught them in the past, though most often it is then hitting the plug but not sticking. All hits/catches have been while throwing plugs or bucktails for stripers along the bluff walls.

Post Thanks / Like

throwing the net

Im 6-4 and I can make one in 20 throws look good, guess I just need to keep practicing,break out the ipad and spend the day in the front yard until I get a little consistancy with my throws.The lake is 2 1/2 hrs from the georgetown area where I live so I like to be prepared.
    OK now back to the original non hijacked post Night fishing, does anyone throw underspin jig heads I saw a post awhile back where one of the members made some real nice looking ones. I was looking at tackle wearhouse and ran across a bait called the triple spin elite jig head, in sizes from 3/8 to 1/2 oz with hooks up to 6/0. Its suppose to run fairly high in the water column and should come though the new debris feild fairly well. Has anyone ever used these here? I couldnt help it I did buy several.They feel fairly well made with decent wire basically A spin off of the alabama rig concept, which I have caught allot of fish on but hate throwing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ts02.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	7788  

Post Thanks / Like
    @boskeet:
    One of my worst nightmares is ending up in the drink and in the net! Glad you made it out OK.
    @kstonich:
    Don't know anything about those jig heads. I throw Slivers, Bucktails, Redfins and Gizz 4 baits. Maybe some thundersticks. Those baits have always done will for me so I don't go outside that box much.

Here are some things to consider when you are looking for a method for cast netting.
    How long does it take to load?
    How much room do you have to turn?
    How heavy is the net?
    Size of the net?
    How wet are you willing to get?
    How much room do you have from the ground up?

The last one is a factor for me. My boat rail comes up to my knees on the bow and my waist in the stern. I also cast net wading in FL so my method keeps the entire net above waist high. It takes longer to load and you get more wet. It will also drain you pretty quick if its a heavy net.
    I throw one differently if I have plenty of room around and to the ground. That method takes less time to load and I don't have to hold the net up as long. It is also more dry.
    I also have a lightening fast way to throw if its my 6' net. Those you can almost grab it, open it some and sling it around.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are only pesky if you don't catch them. LOL