Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

pesky

there are 2 different species of walleye in cumberland , one is the "walleyeus peskius" they are rarely seen and very little is known about them. the other species is "walleyus delicious filletus" while being much less common than the "walleyeus peskius" they are highly valued by anglers.....lol.

kstonich, if you want to learn how to throw a castnet i can show you 3 different methods that work well. just give me a yell before you come down and i will meet you at the dock and show you. i throw a 20 foot net but these methods will work with most sizes of nets.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thanks

The species know "walleyus delicious filletus" is why am so eager to catch them. I caught my one and only Walleye (6lbs) at Laurel River last year, for me it was the most delicious fish I have every eaten, this includes fresh Salmon from an Alaska river to high mountain brook trout. One was not enough so my wife has requested that I again return with these succulent fillets for the table. It’s like getting sent fishing for the wife how cool is that, of course I need to by extra gear in pursuit of this delicious fish. As if I need a reason to buy more stuff!
    kstonich, if you want to learn how to throw a castnet i can show you 3 different methods that work well. just give me a yell before you come down and i will meet you at the dock and show you. i throw a 20 foot net but these methods will work with most sizes of nets.[/QUOTE]
    That would be great. I fish out of a Lund 1800 Fisherman the front deck to railing is about 16" and I have no problem getting wet. I plan on coming down after Memorial day weekend for 3-4 days of hanging out on the lake. Hopefully the weather holds out, The Lunar tables shows that period as an excellent time. I take every advantage I can get I only get about 5-8 days a year on Cumberland unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    walleyus delicious filletus Love it!
    Take Stripernut up on the offer.
    Here is a method I plan to try this summer when chasing gizzards (If I do chase gizzards this summer).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7Q-eeckko

This looks like an easy to load method that takes the pull line out of the mix. You can just tie it off and make sure you aren't stepping on it when you throw. You WILL get wet and very dirty if you are doing this for Gizzards. Just wet if you are chasing Alewives. It also looks pretty bullet proof. Just turn with the arms out and let the net pull the open part out of the thumbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    They are only pesky if you don't catch them. LOL
    AMEN!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kstonich View Post
    In several replies members mention pesky Walleye, are you catching walleye or short striking your lures.I normally don't have problems catching stripers during the day tossing lures/ bait but I hve no luck catching walleye never had them back home.Any advise would be appreciated.
    Also If tossing a bait net was my only options to feed myself I would starve to death quickly. I have spent hours in the front lawn watching you tube videos ect.. I not completely stupid but Im missing something. I'm heading down to the lake in late May for 4-5 days for my annual fishing week and would (1) love to catch some Walleye ,and (2) learn to trough a net. any suggestions.
    A lot of the strikes on those topwater walleyes almost seem like a soft kiss. I have seen them kiss my lure without even moving it, while one this weekend spit it into a log, eventhough I did not attempt to set the hook. One popped apb this weekend 3-4 times on a slow retreive with no hook set and the bait merely quivered. Watching those walleye aggravate our beloved Andrew on a slow night can be quite entertaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    walleyus delicious filletus Love it!
    Take Stripernut up on the offer.
    Here is a method I plan to try this summer when chasing gizzards (If I do chase gizzards this summer).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7Q-eeckko

This looks like an easy to load method that takes the pull line out of the mix. You can just tie it off and make sure you aren't stepping on it when you throw. You WILL get wet and very dirty if you are doing this for Gizzards. Just wet if you are chasing Alewives. It also looks pretty bullet proof. Just turn with the arms out and let the net pull the open part out of the thumbs.
    Correction: Last sentence should be: Just turn with the arms out and let the net pull the open part out of the three fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    ... Watching those walleye aggravate our beloved Andrew on a slow night can be quite entertaining.
    Glad that I can provide you with a night's worth of entertainment

Post Thanks / Like

"walleyus delicious filletus"

Stripernut,

When we are there in a couple of weeks, I might have to try and catch a few of these "walleyus delicious filletus". I made it to Lake Erie only once this year and had Skim Ice all over the lake out past 5 miles.... We caught only 1 "walleyus delicious filletus" but fought ICE all morning... I will give you a shout before we come down to see how things are going.

PCT

Post Thanks / Like

shorts

Quote Originally Posted by pct View Post
    Stripernut,

When we are there in a couple of weeks, I might have to try and catch a few of these "walleyus delicious filletus". I made it to Lake Erie only once this year and had Skim Ice all over the lake out past 5 miles.... We caught only 1 "walleyus delicious filletus" but fought ICE all morning... I will give you a shout before we come down to see how things are going.

PCT
    sounds good, just got in from casting practice (note: keyword "casting practice" ) lol. had 2 hits, 1 short stripe, one other very quick hookup and gone. wind was terrible, debris was terrible, lost 2 slivers in submerged trees....i give up, its much less frustrating to catch them in the daylight than to go out and fight this stuff. its going to be a very long time before its back to the way it was " back in the day"....if its ever the way it was back in the day. on the other hand it beats a sharp stick in the eye....

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything new happening?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Glad that I can provide you with a night's worth of entertainment
    I to have had several nights of enjoyment out of this, LOL...

Frickin Walleye.................

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I to have had several nights of enjoyment out of this, LOL...

Frickin Walleye.................
    They are doing me that way down here too