Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    After all the above, does anyone have any nighttime striper reports?

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    yes, its very very slow, and very difficult with the high water in the trees

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    I think the higher lake levels have really messed up the spring night bite. Seems to me mid March to Early May used to be be hot with the water temp anything at or slightly above 50. I'd guess blow off all treed areas and seek out rock banks with out trees. Like the walls right side coming out of J-town to Low Gap, or left side head toward Lilly. Find the terrain that has remained constant and I'd bet the bite pattern will remain more consistent.

So far as dock lights, I hate fishing close to them because it makes it easier for the Coast Guard and KDFWR folks to see the beer bottles on the boat.

And lets face it, get a life, it's easier to get a Redfin unhooked from a rock bank than a friggin tree branch. I mean cmon man.

Post Thanks / Like
    They were still off the banks in the early AM this past weekend. I do not know if they had moved up in the night. I did get one nice right off the bank. The good news is the fish were in the right areas and water temps are getting close.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, i was just wondering if they were biting?!?! HAHA

Post Thanks / Like
    Really total thread blocker. Dude just wanted to know if the fish were biting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fishing tough for us Friday and Sat nights. One short fish Fri nite before dark and one borderline keeper Sat. It was on a Bomber off the bank. Lower end had water temps 61-67. Alewives in decent, but not like the good 'ol days. Only heard 2 stripers blow up in two nights. The rest of the stuff were walleyes, which pestered my partner's jointed topwater to no end. Trees made casting at night interesting. I waited 7 years for this????

Post Thanks / Like

slow

Fishing tough for us Friday and Sat nights. One short fish Fri nite before dark and one borderline keeper Sat. It was on a Bomber off the bank. Lower end had water temps 61-67. Alewives in decent, but not like the good 'ol days. Only heard 2 stripers blow up in two nights. The rest of the stuff were walleyes, which pestered my partner's jointed topwater to no end. Trees made casting at night interesting. I waited 7 years for this????
    yup, the bite is SLOW, casting the banks is tough to just da near impossible depending on where your at, and getting to and from can be treacherous due to the floating debris. and yes this is what we waited 7 years for, as the shoreline continued to grow thickets of saplings i knew it was going to be frustrating trying to nite fish. i dont see it getting any easier in the near future as these trees die off they wil still be standing for a very long time.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    yup, the bite is SLOW, casting the banks is tough to just da near impossible depending on where your at, and getting to and from can be treacherous due to the floating debris. and yes this is what we waited 7 years for, as the shoreline continued to grow thickets of saplings i knew it was going to be frustrating trying to nite fish. i dont see it getting any easier in the near future as these trees die off they wil still be standing for a very long time.
    Well....I guess I'll be fishing the dam breast all spring. No trees, and at least the ramp is close.

Ya know if ya fish the right part of the dam, you can still hit the thiefs snooping around your truck with a .22 long rifle shot.

And come to think of it, I might just let the boat tied up to the dock and downpole under my own light........shhhhhaaaaawing......no gas, no hull dents. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Know what you mean! Fishincreek and I had to really chose our banks. Skipped over some past producing banks cause there was too much brush on them to fish. What do you think about the brush/trees that are a little deeper off the banks. Will this keep stripers off those banks too? I know stripers are much more of an open water predator, so not good at chasing bait around trees and other structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is true that stripers do not maneuver in cover as well as, say, bass. But spawning bait is easy pickins' even with cover on the banks. They will move up with the bait when the bait moves up. I am hearing the bait just hasn't moved up yet but they will. IF I were going to night fish right now it would be with bucks off the banks or large red fins (or APB plugs) old style. ie: Perpendicular to the bank and more than a full cast away from the bank. That used to be the way to get it done over 20 years ago and it would be something that would be worth a shot right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, we tried parallel and perpendicular to the banks. Surface and subsurface plugs and bucktails. Some alewifes in, but not real heavy. Only heard two striper blow ups all night. Plenty of walleye around to harass us, just none of our striped friends. Thought it somewhat weird to have that much bait on the bank, but hear only 2 stripers. Could also be that we just picked a bank that the stripers were not on at that time. Alewifes were also scattered from 3/4 the way back to the main lake, which may have also contributed.